Friday, November 6, 2009

Ballad: The Gathering of Faerie Review

Ballad: The Gathering of Faerie Ballad: The Gathering of Faerie by Maggie Stiefvater


My rating: 4 of 5 stars
I finished Ballad by Maggie Stiefvater last night. Before I get into the review I want to talk a little about fairy books and the author. I read different fairy books in the past but only really loved Holly Black’s version. I feel like most of the fairy books I had read were sad and didn’t believe in happy endings. I was hesitant to pick up another fairy book. I first discovered Maggie’s books when I came across Shiver at Borders. I sat and read the first few pages and I was hooked. Shiver is about wolves and is so beautifully written that I needed to read the rest of her books. At first I had a hard time finding the books at Borders and I had to keep asking them to stock them. When I read Lament I found the same wonderful writing as Shiver. I love how Maggie’s books really drop you in the story. She has an attention to detail that uses all your senses when you read her books. She describes what her characters feel, see, smell, taste, and all the sounds around them.

Ballad is the follow up to Lament but the story is told from James’ point of view. Deirdre the main character in Lament still plays a very important role but she is no longer the main character. I kept shooting tweets at the author trying to find out what happens but she wouldn’t tell. LOL At points I found the story to be sad but overall it was a really great book. We do see some of the old characters from Lament but we also meet a lot of new characters. One is Nuala a muse who wants to make a trade with James. Like all fairies there is a price to pay for her inspiration. James having dealt with fairies in the past has a better chance at not making a deal with her, but will he?

I really loved the quotes at the beginning of each Nuala's chapters. There are still many questions so I hope there will be a third book. I loved this book and Maggie is now one of my favorite authors.

View all my reviews >>

No comments:

Post a Comment