Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Chasing Brooklyn Review

Chasing Brooklyn Chasing Brooklyn by Lisa Schroeder


My rating: 4 of 5 stars
I am so surprised by how much I liked this book. I first came across this author on Goodreads First Read contest and thought that the summery sounded interesting. Then I saw the book trailer and it went from slightly interesting to I need to go out and find it. I went to Borders and they didn’t carry it, but luckily I was going to Blue Willow Bookstore, an indie bookstore in Houston, to see Becca Fitzpatrick and they had it. So without even looking any further I said I’ll take it! So while waiting for Becca I started to read. I was really surprised because the book is written in verse not in chapter format. It’s kind of like a journal told from the two main characters. Also I am telling you this because had I just picked up the book off a shelf and flipped through it I might not have got it and I would have missed out on a great story. When I first started I found it hard to keep up. If you have ever had a conversation with me about books then you know that I have to know what the characters sound and look like in my head and I can hear them talk the parts I read. I know I sound crazy. So back to my review at first I had to adjust to the verse and try to figure out the characters and get the voices straight. Once I moved past all of that I found a really great story.

The story starts with Brooklyn describing how exactly one year ago to the day she lost her boyfriend Lucca. On the same day Nico, Lucca’s, brother is going through the same thoughts and emotions. Lucca died in a car accident when his friend Gabe wrapped his car around the pole. Gabe walked away from the accident but Lucca didn’t. Neither Brooklyn nor Nico are the same since the accident then suddenly Gabe dies. Both feel like they are being haunted and pushed together without knowing. Brooklyn is so sad and you wonder if someone can come back from that. What she had with Lucca was perfection for her and she doesn’t think she will ever be happy. Nico felt that Lucca was always the better of the two and doesn’t know what to do. Nico isn’t sure if Lucca is haunting him and can’t figure out what the message is. This is a really beautiful story and I highly recommend it!

Favorite character: Nico.

Favorite Quotes:

“Everyday is a choice. Choose life. Or choose death. What do you choose?”

“Love is the answer. Not fear”

“I won’t forget you, my flower girl

Did I cry? Yes!

Will I buy another book by the same author: Yes!


For more information on Lisa Schroeder:
http://www.lisaschroederbooks.com
http://twitter.com/lisa_schroeder



Also check my earlier post for the book trailier:
http://cariblogs.blogspot.com/2010/01/ch...

View all my reviews >>

No comments:

Post a Comment