Saturday, March 20, 2010

Author Appreciation Week - Stephenie Meyer


Fact or Fiction: Only moms and teens read Young Adult books. Fiction! Also, why should it matter what your age is? Why can't an adult enjoy a book about teens the way we do romance, mystery or nonfiction?


I actually had no idea that a Young Adult Genre existed before Stephenie Meyer. I remember finishing a really hard semester in college two years ago and feeling exhausted. A friend said "well you like to read why not try Twilight?" and I gave her a look that said really a teen vampire book? I never caught onto Anne Rice so I wasn't sure it would work for me, but she insisted that I give it a try and so I did. For the first fifty pages I wasn’t sure, but then next thing you know I was hooked. I fell in love with Edward and got so wrapped up in the story that I finished all four books in a two week period. I even reread all four books twice to make sure I got all the details.

I loved that people everywhere were so passionate about the books regardless of age. I had never really experienced anything like that before. I soon found twitter and found a whole community of Twilight fans who shared the same passion. Some had devoted podcast such as TwilightNewborns.com who share their point on The Twilight Saga. I found great people who I chat, text, tweet, talk on the phone with regularly, and even met a fellow Twilight fan all thanks to the Twilight Saga.  These are great people who have similar interests and have become great friends.
Stephenie opened my eyes to a whole new genre of books, which I quickly jumped into, after reading The Twilight Saga I read Mortal Instruments, Tithe, Blue Bloods, House of Night, Wicked Lovely, Vampire Academy and many other series. I thought it was great that there are so many people who are passionate about books and not just the Young Adult Genre. I went from reading one book a month to one book a week and somewhere along the way people started to notice how much I was reading and wanted to know what I would recommend so I started this blog. Now the twilight excitement is starting back up with the release of the New Moon DVD today and Eclipse opens June 30, 2010 in theaters across the U.S. My one wish would be that one day Stephenie finishes Midnight Sun.

For more information on Stephenie Meyer:
http://www.stepheniemeyer.com
http://www.twilightthemovie.com

I would like to say thanks to Heidi R. Kling, who had the great idea for Author Appreciation Week!

No comments:

Post a Comment