Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Book Review: Linger by Maggie Stiefvater


My rating: 5 of 5 stars
Release Date: July 20, 2010
Spoiler Free

 Maggie Stiefvater’s writing style is flawless and so unique. If you take any sentence and show it to someone who has her books and they will know it’s her. I am also really happy with the poetry in the book. I don’t know if it was intentional but throughout the book you see the titles of the books: Shiver, Linger, and Forever which made me smile.

Linger picks up where Shiver left off and is told from Grace, Sam, Isabelle, and Cole’s point of view. Cole is the new wolf that Beck made the summer before. Isabelle is instantly drawn to Cole because like her Cole is misunderstood, lost, and just wants to escape the guilt. One of my favorite lines in the book is when Isabelle is ordering pizza over the phone and is flirting with the guy taking her order. After she tells Grace that she is sure they will get free toppings and Grace says “That was practically phone sex on an extra thin crust.” I swear I laughed so hard.

From the parental standpoint I was really surprised that Grace’s parents play a much bigger role in this book. Isabelle’s parents also make an appearance, but my favorite was Sam’s boss who gives him great advice.
The details that Maggie puts in Linger make you feel as if you are living in the story. For example the paper cranes that Sam makes and hangs on the ceiling adorned with twinkle lights. All the cranes are made of papers that represent happy memories like a school report card and the paper where he scribbled girl lying in the snow. I feel like all I had to do was look up to see them.

Linger proves you don’t need a crazy love triangle to tell an epic love story. The love that Sam and Grace have is truly real. Love is expressed with simple gestures such as a touch of a hand, a familiar facial expression, or the scent of a loved one.

I normally read a book from beginning to end in less than a few hours, but I didn’t want to finish Linger. I was really caught up with what might happen that I found it hard to enjoy the story. I laughed, cried, and loved this book. I will defiantly re-read both Shiver and Linger.


Thank you to On Our Minds @ Scholastic for having the contest that allowed me to win an advance readers copy of Linger!


Author Information:
www.maggiestiefvater.com
http://twitter.com/mStiefvater

You can order any of Maggie’s books autographed from Fountain Bookstore: http://www.fountainbookstore.com/autograph-maggie

Originally posted Apr 21, 2010

8 comments:

  1. Yay! awesome review! can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hmmm, I need to start reading this series... thx for the review

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. GAH-- Now I am dying even more at reading your little tidbits of info!

    I am like a little rat (heh-- holla Simon!) hunting for any morsel of food, but I do appreciate the spoiler free review. Cause even though July can't freaking come fast enough, I am looking forward to reading it all fresh. ;)

    Thanks for sharing with us Cari!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad your review was spoiler free. I am very excited to read Linger and I know exactly what you're talking about when you say you feel like you're there.

    When I read Shiver, I felt peaceful like I was wrapped in a blanket. I felt at home in the world that Maggie created and wished so much that I could go back there, so I read it again :o)

    I'm (im)patiently waiting for my own copy of Linger when it's finally released. Thanks for the great review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Maggie's style. I need to try this series! Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I so agree with you on not wanting to finish it...I took my time and basked in Maggies greatness LOL!
    And I agree with Brianne in her comment up above when she said "When I read Shiver, I felt peaceful like I was wrapped in a blanket." Maggie creates such a magical, beautiful world in Mercy Falls!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree Maggie is made of awesome!

    ReplyDelete