Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Burned Review

Burned (House of Night, #7) 
Burned by P.C. Cast
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

Finishing Burned was sort of a let down and more so than the books in the past. I don’t feel anything major was accomplished in this book. Sure Zoey is back from the Otherworld but did we really think she would stay there? She is the main character after all. It seems like with the House of Night Series it’s either a hit or miss, for example I loved Tempted but not so fond of Marked.
     The story picks up from where Tempted left off and Zoey’s soul is shattered from watching Kalona kill one of her inner circle. While in the Otherworld Zoey starts to lose pieces of her soul and makes the decision to stay there. I found it hard to believe she didn’t think about how this would affect her friends, warriors, and most importantly her grandmother. She never fights to find a way back and if she truly loves those she left behind it should have weighed on her mind just a little.
     Stevie Rae seems to be following in Zoey’s footsteps and I say this because she is keeping secrets, having a hard time being the High Priestess, not being able to choose one guy, and ultimately wanting to be with the bad guy. This feels like Zoey, Stark, and Eric all over again. Aside from Stevie Rae the Nerd Herd does not play a big role.
     We only saw Grandma Redbird once, which for someone who could lose her granddaughter I would think she would be more involved role. Also the way Dallas talks is annoying he adds the word "Girl" at the end of every sentence when he is talking to or about Stevie Rae. Heath does the same thing with Zoey. He says annoying phrases such as "snot nose" or it seems he can never speak properly which as the story line goes along it really gets old. Cast throws plenty of profanity that doesn’t add value to the story. To parents if your younger teens read this series I would be cautious with this book.
     I felt that the book jacket and/or description made it seem that Stevie Rae and Aphrodite would save Zoey when really Aphrodite only had one vision that she could see what the world would be like without her. The stand out star was Stark he grows into being a better person. Even though the House of Night is centered on the female characters, Spark is really the only reason to finish this book.
     I took a few days to write the review because I was hoping that as the days passed I would find the good in Burned, but that didn't happen. I am not sure if it's because the book was bad or I have read so many great books since I started the series that this book just didn't live up to what I have read. Either way I was not happy. Have you read the book? What did you think? Did you enjoy it?


View all my reviews

8 comments:

  1. Im dragging on finishing it too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have not read this series yet. I am hoping to get to it at some point. Sorry to hear this one didn't seem to match up with the others so far. Is there more books after this one? Maybe the next one will be back on track for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melissa I know that's the crazy part I'm sure I will buy her next book. So at the end of the day PC Cast wins.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think I will read this book ): hehe will maybe next year after I finish a lot of books. thanks for the review Cari!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree, to me this was the worst of the HoN series so far. I am a big fan of the author's other books and have read/re-read most of them, but this was a struggle to get through.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not overly impressed with this series. It's not bad, but I won't be re-reading it anytime soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know these are old posts I'm commenting on, but I just found your blog and am going through your 2010 list. I like to see what others thought of books I read. I also hated this book. I finally just refused to read the newest one. The author apparently thinks we're all idiots or children.

    ReplyDelete
  8. AshHadAns: I'm so glad you found my blog! I love comments on old post! I only got the new one because I found it at half price which is usually not a good sign for a new book.

    ReplyDelete