Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Infinity by Sherrilynn Kenyon

Infinity By Sherrilynn Kenyon
Release Date: May 25, 2010


Summary

At fourteen, Nick Gautier thinks he knows everything about the world around him. Streetwise, tough and savvy, his quick sarcasm is the stuff of legends. . .until the night when his best friends try to kill him. Saved by a mysterious warrior who has more fighting skills than Chuck Norris, Nick is sucked into the realm of the Dark-Hunters: immortal vampire slayers who risk everything to save humanity.

Nick quickly learns that the human world is only a veil for a much larger and more dangerous one: a world where the captain of the football team is a werewolf and the girl he has a crush on goes out at night to stake the undead.

But before he can even learn the rules of this new world, his fellow students are turning into flesh eating zombies. And he’s next on the menu.

As if starting high school isn’t hard enough…now Nick has to hide his new friends from his mom, his chainsaw from the principal, and keep the zombies and the demon Simi from eating his brains, all without getting grounded or suspended. How in the world is he supposed to do that?

Prologue

Freewill.

Some have called it the greatest gift bestowed on humanity. It is our ability to control what happens to us and exactly how it happens. We are the masters of our fate and no one can foist their will on us unless we allow it.

Others say freewill is a crap myth. We have a preordained destiny and no matter what we do or how hard we fight it, life will happen to us exactly as it’s meant to happen. We are only pawns to a higher power that our meager human brains can’t even begin to understand or comprehend.

My best bud, Acheron, once explained it to me like this. Destiny is a freight train rolling along on a set course that only the conductor knows. When we get to the railroad crossing in our car, we can choose to stop and wait for the train to pass us by, or try to pull out in front of it and beat that bad boy across.

That choice is our freewill.

If we choose to rush ahead, the car we’re in might stall on the tracks. We can then choose to try and start the car or wait for the train to plow into us. Or we can get out to run and fight the destiny of the train slamming into us and killing us where we stand. By choosing to run, our foot could get caught in the tracks or we could slip and fall.

We could even say to ourselves, “there’s no way I’m dumb enough to fight the train” and hang back to safely wait. Then the next thing we know, a truck rams us from behind, throwing us straight into the train’s path.

If it is our destiny to be hit by the train, we will be hit by the train. The only thing we can change is how the train turns us into hamburger.

I personally, don’t believe in this crap. I say I control my destiny and my life.

No nothing controls me.

Ever.

I am what I have become because of the interference and secrets of one creature. Had things been done differently, my life would have been a whole other enchilada. I would not be where I am today and I would have had a life worth living instead of the nightmare my life has become.

But no, by keeping his deepest secrets, my best friend betrayed me and turned me into the darkness I’m learning to embrace. Our fates and destinies were mashed together by a freak event that happened when I was a kid and I curse the day I ever called Acheron Parthenopaeus my friend.

I am Nick Gautier.

And this is my life and how things should have been…

**Note to Dark-Hunter fans

The Chronicles of Nick *is* Nick’s real and true past. There is a huge surprise (several actually) in the book that I don’t want to spoil, but when you read the book, everything you think is an inconsistency will make perfect sense to you. More than that, you will understand exactly why Nick is the way he is and why he continues to hate Acheron the way he does. But you have to be patient. All will be clear on May 25, 2010.

Nick’s series will run until it intersects with Night Pleasures and then Nick will have his own novel in the Dark-Hunter world.

Book one, Infinity, begins when Nick meets Kyrian.
Book two will pick up the next day after Infinity ends and will be out Feb 2011.

Remember the one promise that I try to keep in every book: Just when you think you know the truth about a character or event, you find out that things are seldom what they seem. Nick is one of those characters. There’s a lot more to our little Cajun than what you’ve seen to date. That’s why it takes 12 books to tell his story.

There are many, many secrets you’ll learn about a lot of characters, including Cherise and especially Jaden and Jared. Just hold on… you ain’t seen nothing yet :)


If you are like me and haven't read Kenyon's book my first questions was can I read this series without reading the rest.  Same for question for her adult books so here is what I found on her FAQ

Q: Do the books have to be read in order?

A: Absolutely not. As with all my series, they have recurring characters and do refer to events in past books, but each one is written with new readers in mind. So if you pick up in the middle of the series or skip around, you won't miss anything.

Q:Is this the same Nick that you have in the Dark-Hunter novels?

A:Yes and no. This series starts with Nick at age 14 and on the day he meets Kyrian of Thrace and gets sucked into the world of the Dark-Hunters.

It's an alternate view of the Dark-Hunter world that was written in response to all the fans who wanted to have Dark-Hunter books the whole family could love and from younger readers whose parents wouldn't let them read the more adult novels.



For more information about Sherrilynn Kenyon visit:
http://sherrilynkenyon.com/
http://twitter.com/kenyonsherrilyn
http://www.officialsanctuary.com/chronicles-of-nick/infinity/

3 comments:

  1. So going to read this. I Want, I want!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nina: Have you read her other books?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like this this series, I think I only read 2 books, but I figured there would be a Nick, book since he was mentioned heavily in the last one (:

    ReplyDelete