Thursday, June 3, 2010

Shade Review

Shade Shade by Jeri Smith-Ready


My rating: 4 of 5 stars
In Shade something caused a shift in the world 16 years ago giving everyone born after the shift the ability to see and talk to ghosts. There are ghosts who have unfinished business and can simply be annoying, but then there are ghosts called shades who are angry and hurt the people who can see them. The government is working to trap shades and is recruiting anyone who has the ability to see them.

There isn’t a specific logic to who will simply pass on after they die and who will turn into a ghost. One way to help ghosts pass on is to file a wrongful death suit and if the lawsuit is won the ghost can move on. Aura the first baby born after the shift tries to ignore ghosts in her everyday life except when she is working at her aunt’s law firm translating or speaking for ghosts. Aura's mother died when she was a child but Aura has a feeling that her mother might have known what caused the shift. With her mothers journals as a guide Aura hopes to find out more.

Aura’s views on ghosts change when Logan, her boyfriend, dies suddenly. Even though she knows that Logan should move on Aura can’t help but hold on to him. Aura even feels that she could some how stay his girlfriend. Shortly after Logan’s passing she meets Zachary who is pre-shift, so he can't see or talk to ghosts, and he's stunning. Zachary tries to be her friend, but he also shows signs of liking Aura. To make matters worse Logan starts to display signs of turning into a shade and his family is quickly trying to file a wrongful death suit to get him to move on. If either of these things happens Aura will loose Logan for good.

Shade is the first teen book by Jeri Smith-Ready. I first heard of Jeri when the Smart Chicks Kick It Tour was announcing authors and then again when the Haiti earthquake happened and she very generously was giving autographed books to people who made a donation to Doctors without Borders and again with the Multiple Sclerosis Society's Walk.

I found the story unique and emotional. When Aura lost Logan I was in tears and I found her to be a great lead character. Shade kept my attention the entire time and I kept wondering what would happen next. At the end of the book I couldn’t decide between Logan and Zachary. Overall I found this to be a great book and would recommend it to everyone.

For more on Jeri visit: http://www.jerismithready.com

8 comments:

  1. sounds really good, Ive been thinking about reading this book a lot recently plus i love the cover!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome review Cari! I seriously need to get this one, it sounds pretty amazing and I heard so many good things about it. =D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Blueicegal & Cynthial11 I would say pick this up as soon as possible. Also the cover is even more beautiful in person. I ordered mine online from Constellation Books so it was autographed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just reviewed this book today. I agree with you, it definitely kept me entertained the whole time. It was such a great book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds like a cool read. :) I learned more in this review too. Thank you! I didn't know about her mother, and maybe knowing what caused the shift. I am curious about the book. Glad you enjoyed it. I am going to have to get it, at some point here. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It does sounds awesome. I love the sound of it and the cover is great. I cant wait to read it for myself...:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Melissa: If you get it make sure you pick it up from constellation so you can order the signed copy for no additional charge.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nina: Its even prettier in person :)

    ReplyDelete