Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Interview with Kimberly Derting


I am very excited that I nabbed an interview with one of my Summer Reading List Favorites!  Please welcome author of The Body Finder Kimberly Derting


Recently you were on HarperTeen’s Supernatural Summer Tour how did it feel?

It was incredible! I think the most surreal moment for me was sitting in Anderson’s Bookstore in Chicago and having Kelley Armstrong explain to the audience that just the year before she had met me when I was an attendee of the Supernatural Summer Tour, and now here I was…sitting on the stage! WOW, it gave me goose bumps to have it put in that perspective!!!

Was it exciting to be the only first time author on the tour?

It was beyond exciting! I half expected some friendly hazing to take place from such a veteran team, like maybe making the rookie carry their luggage everywhere we went (which I would have done proudly). I will say that I was a little scared I would be sitting all alone at my table (cue the crickets) while my fellow superstar authors had people pushing and shoving to get to them. Thankfully, the readers came out and saw me, and I had a GREAT reception in every city. Plus, the other authors were fantastic!!!

The Body Finder made my Summer Reading List Recommendations. Is there a book you are looking forward to this summer?

I haven’t even finished reading Catching Fire yet but I’m already totally looking forward to Mockingjay! Isn’t everyone, though??? There’s something electrifying about the end of a phenomenon like The Hunger Games trilogy!

Can you tell the readers what they can expect and why The Body Finder should be on their summer reading list?

UGH, really??? Is this where I’m supposed to say “because The Body Finder rocks!!!”? How about this: because how are you going to add Desires of the Dead to your reading list if you haven’t even finished The Body Finder yet? (And then you can tell them that TBF rocks!!!)

What kind of research did you do for The Body Finder?

I actually interviewed the local deputy fire and police chiefs (also my close friends), so that I had my facts straight for things like, how a body would be recovered from the lake, how different police and fire departments interact with each other, and of course the big question…what the heck are those long pointy sticks that search parties use? Did you know that it’s actually the job (at least in our area) of the local fire department to pull a dead body from the water? It’s because they’re the ones in charge of the dive team. I learned all kind of interesting factoids while I was researching!

What have fans said they love about the book?

A lot of people have really loved the chapters from the killer’s point of view. After reading those sections, I’m sure there are a lot of readers who think I’m a little disturbed. I’m not, I promise!

Is Violet inspired by anyone you know?

Nope! Although I can’t say I wouldn’t like to know someone who could stay as calm, cool, and collected as Violet does in the face of death and danger. I, for one, would be running the other way!

How long will the series be and was it always planned to be a series?

It was always planned to be a series. In fact, when I sold the first book, I was already about a third of the way through the second book (thankfully it was sold in a two-book deal!). I would like to do at least two (maybe three) more, and have already plotted them out, so now it’s just a matter of figuring out if the stars will align to make it all happen.

Why use the word 'morbid' as a description? Do you view Violet's ability as morbid?

Hmm, interesting question. I’m not sure that Violet would consider it morbid because that implies dark and gloomy. Odd, maybe. Creepy even. But I think as an outsider discussing her ability, morbid is probably an apt description since she is discovering those who’ve died at the hands of another. It is kind of grim.

We hear that good parents do not exist in YA generally, but in The Body finder there are great parental figures. What made you decide to use involved parents in the story?

I’ve actually heard a lot of readers say that it was refreshing to see Violet’s parents being so supportive of her gift. When I was writing them, I never really thought about making them more or less involved than some of the other books that are out there. I do think it would be boring if all stories were the same, if every book had nonexistent or uninvolved parents.

Has there been any movie buzz for The Body Finder yet?

HA! You want me to reveal secrets, don’t you??? Sadly, I don’t have anything to reveal just yet, but I can tell you that I have a fabulous film agent, and I’ll tell you as soon as I have news *crosses fingers so hard*!!

I love the cover for Desire of the Dead! What did you think when you first saw it?

LOVED, LOVED, LOVED IT!!! And then I told my husband that he would be required to wear a pink Desires of the Dead T-shirt to my launch party next year. He accepted the news a little better than my 17-year-old son did. His exact words were: “Yeah…that’s not gonna happen.”

Can you share a little about what to expect for Desires of the Dead?

I can share the jacket copy from the ARC:
When Violet Ambrose's morbid ability to sense the echoes of those who've been murdered leads her to the body of a young boy, she draws the attention of the FBI. She is reluctantly pulled into an investigation that will endanger more than just her secret...but her relationship and possibly her life as well.

Can we expect another great trailer for Desires of the Dead?

YES! I can safely say there will be another GREAT trailer! Other than that, mums the word! A girl’s gotta have her secrets, doesn’t she???

YA is very popular genre do you feel adults can enjoy your series?

Absolutely! From what I’m hearing, many adults are reading it, and hopefully enjoying it! I think the lines between YA and adult lit have really blurred over the past several years and adults are realizing that there are a LOT of great books that they shouldn’t be overlooking just because they’re marketed to teens. That’s how I found YA!

How do you juggle being a mom, wife, author, and having an online presence?

It’s tough sometimes, and I hate to admit that there are times I’m not great at it. Let’s see, I’ve fed the dog cat food, forgotten to get my daughter off the school bus (thank god for helpful neighbors!), and eaten Skittles as a meal. But on the flipside, I’ve been to some great places, met some awesome readers, and have been blessed to see my book on the shelves of bookstores! How cool is that?!?!

Just for fun: Team Edward or Team Jacob?

HAHA, Team Jacob! I have to go for the best-friend-boyfriend, don’t I??? (Just don’t let my daughters read this, they’d never forgive me…they’re both Team Edward all the way!)

Readers believe me when I say that The Body Finder Rocks! Run out and get a copy ASAP.  Kim will you trade Skittles for secrets?  Thank you so much for visiting and I hope to have you back when Desires of the Dead is released!



For more on Kimberly visit:
www.kimberlyderting.com
http://twitter.com/kimberlyderting
HarperTeen Website

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the interview - I love reading them! I haven't read The Body Finder, but I really want to! The cover of both books are really cool (and pretty)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome interview! I love when she admits she's eaten Skittles as a meal and served the dog cat food.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great interview! I loved the Body Finder and can't wait for Desires of the Dead!!!! The covers are beautiful, I hope it gets made into a movie. That would be awesome! =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great interview! TBF is an awesome read & I'm dying to read DofD..and the 2 or 3 others that hopefully come after :)

    ReplyDelete