Sunday, July 11, 2010

Review: Private by Kate Brian

Private (Private, #1)
Private by Kate Brian

My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I just finished the uber-catty book Private by Kate Brian and let me tell you it’s a page turner. Not only will you find yourself hooked but you might want to throw the book at the wall from time to time. You might be thinking I should have just put the book down but a book that makes you feel emotions is a book worth reading. If you are a fan of Gossip Girls the tv show you will love this book.

Reed Brennan arrives at Easton Academy her sophomore year as a scholarship kid. She is not great at making friends and wants to change that. On her first night in her dorm she spots a group of girls in the building across from her. Reed is instantly drawn to them, but little does she know they are the Billings Girls, the most popular girls in school. When they notice she is staring at them they give her the nick name “glass-licker”. You would think this would be enough to make Reed run in the other direction but instead it makes her want to belong even more.

Like most things the Billings Girls aren’t all perfect and hide plenty of secrets not only from each other but from the entire school. Noelle Lange is the leader of the girls she is super poised and not to be crossed. Ariana Osgood is always reading and mostly the quiet one. She is the first to speak to Reed and invites her to breakfast. Kiran Hayes is the model but has a relationship with someone the Billings Girls would not approve of. Taylor Bell is the final member who is super smart and helps Reed keep up with her school work.

As the book goes on I feel like Reed really looses herself and even gives her virginity to Thomas a guy she met on her first day at Easton Academy. Reed does anything the Billings Girls ask from getting their food to stealing an exam. Thomas isn’t a fan of the Billing Girls and wants her to choose the Billing Girls or him. In the end I don’t think either is the right choice for her.

I found the book to be a quick read and will continue reading the series. I warn you this book is not for everyone and would not recommend it for young teens. Never the less if you are looking for a fun read I suggest you pick this series up.

3 comments:

  1. Great review! I loved this book. So much drama! And I do agree with you, the choices Reed makes are not the greatest! It was indeed a pageturner! I hope you enjoy the second book too. This series is one of my favourites. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. This does sound Gossip Girlish. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Juju!

    Nina: Oh yay I love when I find people are a fan of books I just start reading. It's a good sign :) I have the next four on my shelf I'll be sure to read them soon :)

    ReplyDelete