Friday, August 20, 2010

Interview with Kate Kaynak

I would like to welcome Kate Kaynak to my blog. Kate is the author of the Ganzfield series which includes Minder and the newly released Adversary. She is a Yale graduate and has a Ph.D. in Social-Developmental from Rutgers University. After reading Minder I had so many questions I would have liked to ask Kate and now i'm fortunate to have the chance to pose my questions to her.

Can you give us the scoop on Minder.
Minder is the story of Maddie, a 16-year-old girl who finds out she's got a special ability when something terrifying happens and sets it off. She ends up at Ganzfield, a secret training facility in New Hampshire. Ganzfield's got all the nasty, cliquish games of any other high school, except the kids there have abilities like mind-control and pyrokinesis, so it's more intense.

How long did it take to write Minder?
I finished the first draft in about 2 months, but I had to go through about a dozen revisions after that. Even then, my editor made changes on nearly every page.

How long have you been writing?
I've been dabbling since high school and college, but I got serious and completed my first novel in 2007.

 The covers are amazing what is the meaning behind them?
I'm so glad you like the covers! They're based on a Gestalt perception test in psychology--the vase that's outlined by two faces. Like Maddie, there's more to them than what someone sees in their first impression.



How many books will be in the series?
I'm revising book 4 right now. Book 2, Adversary, comes out this month, and book 3, Legacy, will be released in January 2011. I plan to have at least six books in the series to resolve the major plot arcs, but I won't postscript the ending like Jo Rowling did with Harry Potter 7. It'll still be open-ended, so I can do more if a good story comes to me. I'm also considering writing the seventh Ganzfield book from Seth's perspective.

On your website you mention that Ganzfield is a real project. So how much of your book is based on fact and how much is fiction?
I really didn't have to invent much. The Ganzfeld experiments were real psychological studies, and Project Star Gate was the actual (now declassified) psychic spy program of the U.S. government. Most of the abilities are found in other places, either in fiction (Stephen King coined the term "pyrokinetic," for example) or in parapsychology research. The physical location of Ganzfield is a real place near North Conway, NH, and Maddie's hometown of Chatham, NJ is real, as well. I invented the G-positive genetic component and dodecamine, though.

Why would this book appeal to the adults who love YA?
Adults who love YA, myself included, enjoy it for the intensity of emotion and the sense of possibility that teenage characters have. When I wrote Minder, I wrote a book that I wanted to read myself.


What will we see happen in Adversary?
Adversary picks up shortly after the end of Minder. We'll see Ganzfield's reaction to the revelations at the end of Minder, and a new arrival will shake things up.




What is the message in your novel that you want readers to grasp?
I think the two main themes of Minder are strength in adversity and the healing power of love.

Team Edward, Jacob, or Alice?
I need a "Team Trevor" shirt!
Seriously, though--Team Edward for the books; Team Jacob (so beautiful!) for the movies, and I AM Alice. :)


The contest winner of Minder is Cass of http://wordsonpaperya.blogspot.com/:  An email has been sent to you and you have 72 hours to respond or a new winner will be chosen!  The winner was drawn by Random.org


Thank you so much to Kate for taking the time to answer my questions!  Also remember both Minder and Adversary are available today.

For more on Kate visit:

11 comments:

  1. Thanks for the interview, and YAY I'm so happy I won a copy! "...the two main themes of Minder are strength in adversity and the healing power of love." -- Okay, this book is sounding better and better with more things I hear about it.

    I'll admit, I was a bit shaky about this book (because of the cover), but the story/premise sounds great, and (about the covers) "there's more to them than what someone sees in their first impression."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the review, the interview, and hosting the giveaway, Cari!

    Cass, I hope you enjoy Minder!

    - Kate

    ReplyDelete
  3. An Alice fan?? How can I not read her book! Ok it helps that it also sounds like it's a good read too. It's cool that some of the things in the book are based on real life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE that you asked her her Twilight Team =) I also totally agree that the covers are awesome. When I got to the part in the book where Maddie references those pictures that could be a vase or 2 faces, I totally fell in love with the cover. Great interview!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The healing power of love! Sounds wonderful and congratulations Kate for the release of Adversary :) Thank you for the great interview.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great interview! And I love those covers! I'll have to look for them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome interview!!! Now I really want to read Minder, I didn't know it was based on some real experiments.. it sounds awesome!!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really Enjoyed Minder! great interview!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations Cass your book should get to you soon!

    Kate thank you so much for taking time to to do an interview with me.

    Readers I can't stress enough how great this book is and how you should order your copy today!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome interview! ^_^
    I LOVED her response for her "Team" for Twilight! XD I feel the same way (except that I'm not Alice =[)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kate- I would love to read from Seth's perspective!!

    And I'm having a hard time saying I'm team Trevor on FB (I have a cousin named Trevor!!)

    Congrats on the release of Adversary and I can't wait to read Legacy!

    ReplyDelete