Thursday, September 9, 2010

5 Star Review: Firelight by Sophie Jordan

Firelight (Draki, #1)Firelight by Sophie Jordan

My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I was worried that after reading Mockingjay I wouldn’t find something I loved as much but Sophie Jordan has made that happen with Firelight! So much intensity and romance make Firelight a perfect read!

Jacinda is a unique individual because not only is she draki, descendants of dragons, but she is also the first fire breather in 400 years. While her tribe is planning her future her mother comes up with a plan of her own, but the only thing these plans have in common is that neither is what Jacinda wants.

In an attempt at a little freedom Jacinda sneaks out to fly at sunrise. Only flying during the day is prohibited for fear of exposure. While in flight Jacinda is ambushed by a group of hunters who quickly corner her in a cave. A young hunter is sent in to find her and he simply lets her go.

Jacinda risking her life has set the tribe's plans into motion and her mother reacts by fleeing with Jacinda and her twin Tamra to start over in a new city as humans. Tamra, who never manifested as a draki, is thrilled to have a chance at a normal life while Jacinda just goes along with what her mother chooses.

Her mother chooses a desert city knowing that Jacinda’s inner draki could not survive and Jacinda will never change into a draki again. Jacinda’s mother and sister made the rebellious teen in me yell and scream. Life in the desert isn’t all bad when Jacinda finds out that Will, the hunter who let her go, is at the same school. (SWOON) Will is drawn to Jacinda but doesn’t know why he feels so connected to her. (Double Swoon) Just as Jacinda is finding a balance Cassian, a guy from her tribe, has found her and wants to bring her back to her rightful home.


Firelight has so many memorable quotes that I had to share a few:

For a draki, he’s death…To keep that part of me alive, I have to be close to that which kills it.

Jacinda has a few run-ins with Brooklyn the “It” girl from her school:

After running for my life from hunters, a girl with too much lip gloss doesn’t register on my fear radar.

I shrug, certain I’ve stepped into some bad flick about angry cheerleaders vying for a championship.

For more on Sophie Jordan visit: http://www.sophiejordan.net/ya/news.html

To browse inside Firelight visit HarperTeen: http://browseinside.harperteen.com/index.aspx?isbn13=9780061935084

6 comments:

  1. i really liked this one too!! this book was definitely addicting and that ending (gah!!!)--too bad the next book doesn't come out until next fall (sigh)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chelleyreads I know I can't wait for the next one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome review. I am simply itching to read this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This seems to be the new hit! I have it on my list to get. So glad you enjoyed it so much. :) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. DANG! This sounds awesome! I am going to have to get this and have it in queue for after Clockwork Angel. ;)

    ReplyDelete