Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Can I go 2 months without buying books?

 I realized that the year is almost over! I mean we are two months away from 2011 how crazy is that? During 2010 we have had some amazing books come out like Linger, Radiant Shadows, Mockingjay, Spirit Bound, The Body Finder, and so many more. I went to some amazing author events like Harper Teen Supernatural Summer Tour, Smart Chicks Kick it Tour, The Texas Book Festival, Maggie Stiefvater's first time in Houston and well let's face it if there was an author event in Houston I was there.


So as the end of the year approaches I have lost track of how many books I have purchased and yes it's that many. So Sunday I came up with the idea that besides books I needed for signings and Last Sacrifice by Richelle Mead I would not buy anymore books until 2011. I mean if I can't go 60+ days without buying books I think it might say something about me. If you are wondering how can I be a book reviewer and not buy new books, well just look at my bookshelf! I realized I had over 100 books that have not been read. So I reached out to my Twitter friends and told them about my brilliant plan and said who is with me! First crickets, then rumbling about how that sounds impossible, and then a few stepped forward and agreed to try it with me!

::CHEERS::

I was very excited about my plan!


It felt great to have a plan that meant saving some money which would could mean more book trips in 2011.


Hey and it can't be crazy if a few twitter friends were on board! Right?


Then I remembered I needed one book for the Melissa de la Cruz signing on November 4th and there are two bookstores right down the street from my job. So why not just drive by and check it out.


Store 1: So many books on clearance and books I have never seen in the clearance section! I was determined to only get the book I was looking for and they didn't have it.  Then I remembered I was also going to see Rachel Caine! So it wouldn't hurt if I checked to see if there were any of her books and I was in luck! They had two!!! So I got them and since they are for signings that isn't breaking the rules. Right?

Store 2: I go again looking for my Melissa de la Cruz book in hardback and they don't have it! Even though I could have sworn I had seen it there before. I know I should have walked out but again I said hey maybe they have a Rachel Caine book I am missing. Just my luck I found two more books I needed and they had a 25% off coupon! So yes I got those too.

So my first attempt at not buying books lasted 29 hours.

Now I am going to see Rachel Caine so I know I am buying her latest book which is required to get in the signing line and then I'm also getting one other book. Well how often do authors come to visit? After Rachel Caine I'm only going to see Melissa de la Cruz, maybe Condoleezza Rice, and Alex Debogorski the Ice Road Trucker! After that all I need is Last Sacrifice and I am done! Everything else can wait until 2011...I hope!

So here is my pledge:
  • Only books for signings
  • Free books are ok
  • Last Sacrifice by Richelle Mead
  • Books as gifts or purchased for contest giveaways

So you are asking yourself what if I break the rules. Well I came up with a plan for that too! For every book that I buy not related to a signing or Last Sacrifice I have to give away two of my books from home to my local library. If you know me you know that I love my books and giving them away is extremely hard.

So bloggers and friends can you do it? Again I ask WHO IS WITH ME?!?

11 comments:

  1. LOL! :) I am trying to cut back drastically here for the holidays. I need to save money and not spend on myself. I will pick up a few books I have planned for discussions and such, but nothing else. HA! I will see how long that will last. But I will try my hardest. I might go through withdrawal though. I would like to think I have loads of support out here in the blogworld and twitter to help me get through though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a great idea, I just don't know if I have the willpower. I managed to do this in August, but 2 months will be a real challenge. I have a few books to buy as gifts and there are a few that I have been drooling over. I will come up a post and see what restrictions I can make. Good luck! We are going to need it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melissa (My World...in words and pages) LOL Yeah I think I will spend a lot of time rearranging my books and try to stay away from bookstores. We will support each other!

    Melissa @ Mel's Books and Info: I think gifts are ok also. Withdrawals will happen! Like you I feel like I am missing some critical books. Come back and link your post I can't wait to read it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a book blogger from Houston too! :) And, I have been trying lately to not spend as much money on books, but well as usual my dad gives me money for gas. I go to the bookstore instead. :)
    Before I jump on the bandwagon, what if the books are gifts? Is that breaking the rules?
    Miranda
    wwww.just-read-books.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Miranda! Oh I wonder if we have been at some of the same events. I think buying gifts for other people not for yourself are excluded from this. Also contest prizes because let's face it readers need prizes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck Cari!!

    As much as I would like to join you, I just can't, lol. Really, I dont buy that many anyway. I have a 2 year old that goes every where with me, and she is a terrible 2, so I dont ever go to the bookstore unless I need something. I could never browse shelves with her, which is how I like to find new books.

    wow, this got wordy.

    Have fun with your book buying ban!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'll definitely try it, I don't need to be spending that much money right now since Christmas is coming up. I'll just get Last Sacrifice when it comes out. Good luck to you and don't go to Half-Price Books!!!! =D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Okay, here it is my post regarding my book buying limitations. I think I might be letting myself off too easy. What do you think?

    http://bookgirl-mel.blogspot.com/2010/11/two-months-no-new-books-can-i-make-it.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi!
    I've just come across your blog and I have a feeling I'll be spending quite some time over here... So what happened with the "promise"? Did you manage to follow your own rules? I'm quite excited to find out!

    Best regards from Germany!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Spalkiry,

    LOL I purchased like 10 books I wasn't suppose to but I gave away 30 books and then later another 70 to charity. In 2011 I have purchased less books.

    Thank you for visiting!
    Cari

    ReplyDelete