Monday, November 22, 2010

My take on Audio Books

My belief is that you either love or hate them. Maybe they take some time getting use to, but for me they’re as frustrating as reading an ebook on a desktop.*

I can count on one hand the times where I considered audio books. First when I discovered my love of Twilight but then I listened to the preview online and I hated the narrator's voice so I passed. Second…

The price for an audio book can run close to 40 bucks for the CDs. So I think “One audio book or two or three real books?!?” You can guess what wins with me.

Then the Linger effect took over! Maggie Stiefvater tweets about how Sam sings and Cole sounds like sex on a stick! Well that combined with my love of all things Maggie I finally gave in and purchased a membership to audible.com

Audible draws you in with 7.99 a month for 3 months and then your membership goes up to 14.99! Most books are one credit so I figured I could get shiver, linger, and something else and be done right? Slight problem I keep forgetting to use my credits and turn off my account!

So far I’ve purchased:
Shiver
Linger
Beautiful Creatures
Sisters Red

I have only listened to pieces of Linger and all of Sisters Red…ah it's not been good so far. The narrator’s voices are nothing like what the characters sound like in my head. Also the pace is slower than what I would read. Listening to narrators with accents or speak sighs and grimace is very annoying.

On the plus side I can listen while I'm driving home and my commute is an hour each way, so it helps the commute go by faster. Also I can stream live on my blackberry and listen during lunch or even at my desk.

What are your thoughts? Am I the only one that feels this way or maybe I haven't listen to the right audio books? What are your suggestions?

*For those who know me reading an ebook online hardly ever happens because I get distracted by twitter, email, chat, and all the other fun stuff on the net.

16 comments:

  1. I actually enjoy audiobooks very much! I have Beautiful Creatures and Linger. I didn't like Beautiful Creatures just because the story was so boring, but of course I loved Linger. Yummy Cole! :D Anyway . . . I have had a membership with audible for a while and I really do enjoy most of the books I download from there. I have a huge collection. It helps if you haven't read the book yet, then you don't have a voice in your head already. Still, I love audiobooks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like audio books when traveling, but that's pretty much it for me, to be honest! I like reading them and hearing my own voice in my head haha that sounds so narcissistic, but you know what I mean...right? Maybe I should try more of them though :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have yet to sit & listen to an audio-book in it's entirety. I'm like you - each character has his/her voice in my head & when someone tries to dictate that for me, it just comes off wrong. I listened to Maggie read the first chapter of Linger & it almost ruined it for me! Seriously. And I ADORE her & those books. When I finally sat down to read Linger, I just kept hearing Maggie's voice as Sam and it was so so SO wrong lol.

    I've thought about it for the car. But really, I don't travel by car as much as I used to and I think I'd rather just leave it to my ipod to keep me entertained.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ginger: I'm like you every character has a voice in my head and they play out the story for me. ::NOT CRAZY::

    Melissa: Funny and not narcissistic. That should go on a tshirt.

    Laura: Could you imagine anyone doing sexy Andrew's voice unless it's some hot sexy guy and in that case I want a video reading. What are some of the audio books you would recommend? I'm not crazy about Grace's voice in Linger audio.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooooooooooooooo Linger on audio? *dreaming and considering*

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love listening to audiobooks on my commute - I have about an hour too.

    I've heard from friends and coworkers who love audiobooks that Twilight and Shiver/Linger are terrible on audio. So I'm guessing that maybe you just haven't found the right audiobooks yet! Maybe try a few more before you give up on them altogether.

    I have several audiobook reviews up on my blog:
    http://superlibrarian-super.blogspot.com/search/label/audiobook

    And also check out Audiobook Jukebox for tons of reviews.
    http://audiobookjukebox.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey! Great post. I LOVE audio books! I have one going on in the car every day. I have have listened to the Mortal Instruments series on audio. My favorite was 13 Reasons Why. The book has two points of view so there were two different voices - a boy and girl. It was amazing! Also, Feed by M.T. Anderson was very cool! Oh, Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson. I tend to listen to books that I wouldn't necessarily read - Esperanza Rising, Sweethearts of Prosper County, and Wings.

    I love hearing how characters named are pronounced. How did you say Hermione in your head before you heard it spoken aloud?

    Not every audio book is a winner. I couldn't listen to Tithe by Holly Black. The voice was soooo annoying!

    ~Jen

    ReplyDelete
  8. I never tried an audio book before. The reason is that they cost too much! Also my library is small and they only have a few audiobooks, but not from YA books. Only adult ones. Í do want to try one, but I don't know if I will. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've only ever listened to the Bible or chidlrens picture books on cd. I think I would like to do audio, but since I have kids most of the time in the car with me, it probably wouldn't be a good fit for me now. So, what I am trying to say is that no, I dont do audio books. Maybe one day in the future, but not now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. you know i tried an audio book, didn't turn out to well for me

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have never used an audio book, but I get curious to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I agree! I also cannot seem to focus when I listen to an audiobook - I start to daydream. I have to have the words in front of my face. Apparently I'm a visual learner lol. Interesting post!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love audiobooks! I have about a 30 minute commute to work, so that's like a good hour a day of story listening -- and that doesn't include other driving! I just have so many books I want to read, that it helps me to "read" several at once.

    ...but I agree with you about Shiver. I listened to the first few chapters and read the rest -- Grace's voice wasn't working with me.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've only tried one audio book before, and I hated it! Of course, it probably wasn't the best one to try - Hoot by Carl Hiaasen ... I just love seeing the words be they on the page or on my NOOK. I think I must be a VERY visual learner because plain audio was not my cup of tea. Of course, it could be a better way to get some books read if I find good ones.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm very picky about my audiobooks and find if you don't find just the right narrators the experience can indeed be disappointing. I also started by listening to the creme de la creme of audiobooks, the Harry Potter series by Jim Dale. He's AMAZING. It was really hard to listen to inferior narrators after listening to him! However, I really enjoyed the YA book Graceling by Kristen Cashore. It was a full audio cast and I thought it was excellent. I find Audiofile, the magazine/website that reviews audiobooks, very helpful in locating excellent audiobooks! Don't give up there are great audio books out there, I swear! :D

    ReplyDelete
  16. Mollie: I will try Graceling since that has been on my list for a while. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete