Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Real Books vs. eBook Part 2

If you have ever talked, tweeted, or chatted with me then you know I always have books on the brain. I do mean always so while I was getting ready for work today I thought yes I have heard a lot of great things about eReaders, but will it turn into my ipod? I have thousands of songs on it but I never really listen to them all. Sure if I'm on the road for long periods of time I hit the shuffle, but I have lost track of what is on it. Lately I have put two or three cds on my blackberry and listen to that in the car. I mean it's easier than digging through my library right?

Without that physical reminder I think it’s easier to be out of sight and out of mind. For example I have a few audio books that I never listen to because I forget I have them. Also some lazy Saturdays I stand in front of my bookshelf and look at all my books and think which one of you will I choose? I even have post it notes in favorite chapters that I quickly reread or skim.

Also I love used bookstores. When I have a bad day or don't really feel like dealing with traffic I head out to Half Price Books or a few Indie shops around town and hunt for a first edition book of something I love. Also who doesn't love the clearance bin? What a great way of finding a new author right?

I don't think that getting an ereader holder or back cover would ever replace having an author sign a real book. Also I might be the kind of person who takes every book the author ever wrote to events. I am nice enough to try to wait until the end of the line if you happen to be behind me I’m sorry! I always buy the most current book and anything I am missing from the store hosting the event because without them making sales they wouldn’t bring events to my area.

After looking at all the shiny and pretty eReaders I’m still not 100% sold. Will I eventually get one? Maybe but chances are that it will be an impulse buy with a really great sale price or if all review books go eCopy and I’m forced to buy one.

3 comments:

  1. I love that you spend your "off days" at a bookstore. I do the same thing!

    I think eReaders will become another tool for reading. Will it replace books completely? No. If you do end up getting one, I think you'll still buy your books! You're like me - it's more than just words on a page! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been kinda in the same place. The benefit of having an e-reader must be greater then the benefits of holding a physical copy. I don't need a ton of shelf space and I don't need to bring my whole library when I travel (not that I ever travel). I love the feel of having a book in my hand, letting my eyes absorb the beautiful cover, and the smell of pages enter my lungs. I love looking up at my shelves and seeing rows and rows of adventures; each one representing a special place and time in my life. I too don't want signed e-reader covers, I want signed books! All of this is a big reason why I haven't taken the plunge and bought one.

    The only benefit that has really made me think that it was time to get one was that I could register multiple Nooks on one account. This way my sister could read all of the books that I purchase and we wouldn't have to get her a second copy.

    I do think that ebooks are the way of the future. Amazon recently announced that their ebooks are outselling their hardcovers. B&N is reducing the number of books in store in order to provide more room for Nook sale counters-- this is a result of big ebook sales. Even big authors like Stephen King have been publishing certain books only in ebook format. Whether we like it or not, digital may be where it's going to go. At least we'll be saving trees and also decreasing the roll of the big publishing companies, giving more control to the authors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm like you, I'm not so sure yet about ereaders but I'm definitely considering adding it to my Christmas list but I think the only reason I would get it and use it would be because of the awesome books on Netgalley. =/

    ReplyDelete