Thursday, November 11, 2010

Review: Rules of Attraction by Simone Elkeles


Rules of Attraction by Simone Elkeles

5 of 5 Stars


Completamente Enamorada! Translation I'm completely in love! Rules of Attraction is book two in the Perfect Chemistry series and is based on Alex’s little brother Carlos. Carlos Fuentes is the pretty boy with a chip on his shoulder. Carlos is sent to live with Alex after following in his big brother’s gang banging footsteps. The difference is that Alex wanted a way out of that life while Carlos saw it as the only way to make real money. Only a few days into high school and Carlos hooks up with the wrong crowd and finds himself framed for drug possession.

Alex finds his little brother a better option than jail by putting him under the guardian ship of Westford, a retired military psychologist and his family. Carlos tries to get kicked out Westford’s house but finds it harder than just acting like a bad ass. Kiara has seen her dad take in people who needed help before but Carlos simply gets on her nerves. Kiara’s stuttering problem makes her shy and would be considered a tomboy by any girl at school. She wears baggy clothes and prefers fixing cars or hiking than going to the mall. Carlos tries to use his charms on her to shake her but she always seems to outsmart him.

Alex and girlfriend Britney from Perfect Chemistry are still going strong and Britney tries to reach out to Carlos in order to make him feel at home in Colorado. Carlos blames Britney for all the decisions his brother makes and he’s not exactly thrilled his brother is with her. Carlos is guarded, afraid and all about control but when he lets his walls down just a bit he finds out that he is capable of loving whole heartedly. Carlos is convinced that he will never be Alex but in the end it’s a choice between falling deeper into the gang life or fighting for a way out.

My only criticism is that the Spanish phrases weren’t always accurate or written in a way that it would be spoken. Rules of Attraction is captivating, charismatic, and a must read! I can’t wait for Chain Reaction, book 3 in the Perfect Chemistry series out in 2011.

6 comments:

  1. Sounds like an interesting read. What impresses me is your reading score--97% complete! Congratualtions

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed this book. I've heard criticism for it because it didn't live up to Perfect Chemistry. I have to disagree with that. Even though there was a continuation from Perfect Chemistry - it was not a sequel. If this book were a stand alone, I think more people would have given it a positive review.

    I love Simone Elkeles! and I can't wait for Chain Reaction either!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG! I still have to read the first book, but after reading your review, I WILL SOON. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ugh! I still have Perfect Chemistry on my TBR pile, I need to read it asap!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had the same issues with the Spanish when I tried book one. Great review btw.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cleemckenzie: Thanks I am trying to squeeze in a few more books.

    Cynthia & Nina You must read ASAP

    Ginger I know I need more Fuentes Brothers!

    ReplyDelete