Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Review: Amy and Roger's Epic Detour

Amy & Roger's Epic Detour by Morgan Matson

Rating: 4 of 5 Stars

I won't lie Amy & Roger's Epic Detour took me a while to get into but about half way through the book I was was loving this book!  When we first meet Amy she is so overwhelmed by grief that all she wants to live in solitude with her pain.  Amy's father died in a car accident three months earlier and her mother decided to move the family cross country to Connecticut.  She leaves Amy the job of getting the car from California to Connecticut but Amy doesn't drive.

Amy's mother explains that her friend's son Roger will drive her to Connecticut.  Her mother pulls that old trick oh you remember Roger you played together that time you were kids...ah yeah that makes it so much better.

Enter Roger and all I can think is Holy Awkwardness! Amy has a world of hurt to deal with, hates being in cars since her father passed, and Roger is HOT!  Shortly after the road trip begins Hot_Roger decides that Amy's mom's itinerary is not going to work and the detours begin.  Roger's main reason for the trip turns out to be his ex-girlfriend who he still sort of has feelings for.  While Amy slowly starts to part with her baggage and yes at one point even literally.  (Funny story I promise)

The different people they meet and spend time with along the way are so much fun and Amy even finds a way to honor her father.  She also gets to see her life from other people's point of view which helps her heal.  I promise that by the end of the road trip you will have laughed, cried, and enjoyed every second of it.  I can't wait to read more from Morgan Matson!

P.S. This would make a great moview.

P.P.S. I need to go to Chick-fil-A. Read the book you will understand!

P.P.P.S If Lucian is what Kentucky guys are really like I'm packing my bags! I loved him!

9 comments:

  1. Love your review, now I really really want it. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this book! So, so much. If someone is looking for good solid read - pick this one up. I'm pretty sure I finished it in a day.

    How awesome was the playlist?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ginger: Great recommendation! I will say it took me a few days to read but that might have been because I had a cold. I didn't know most of the artist on the play list but I loved the scrap books. I want a topiary owl!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so excited to read this book!
    Oh i wish i had it :'(
    Loved your review. =D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have wanted to read this for like forever! Fab review:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I <3 this book! It's one I wouldn't mind reading again! :) Happy you liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jacmom: You were so right! I'm ready for a road trip and sweet tea!

    Blueicegal ♥ & NerdyBookLover: Pick this up I'm sure you will enjoy it.

    Cynthia: This would be a good follow up to Dash and Lily!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the sound of this one! I don't read too much contemporary YA, but I'm all curious about Roger now:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just found out about this book and went to google it and BAM...THIS review came up 4th in the list! YAY!

    Anyhoo...this sounds adorb. I am going to have to pick this one up this weekend. ;)

    ReplyDelete