Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Review: Dash and Lily's Book of Dares

Dash and Lily's Book of Dares by Rachel Cohn and David Levithan

5 of 5 Stars

This book is fanciful, fun, and an overall hit! If you need a break from paranormal or heavy subjects Dash and Lily’s Book of Dares is the book for you! The book is set in New York City during Christmas so this is the perfect book for the season. Don’t think this is strictly a book about Christmas because I am sure this book could be enjoyed year round and I can see myself rereading this book many times.

Dash is browsing the shelves of his favorite bookstore when he comes across a red notebook. The red notebook lists a series of questions and if he follows the directions he might get to meet the owner of the book. Dash is described as "snarky" but under that attitude he is so lovable.

Lily is an eccentric girl who you will automatically want to be friends with. Her brother, Langston, came up with the idea of the notebook to help her find a boyfriend and to keep her busy since their parents were going out of town for Christmas and that gives him time to hang out with his boyfriend Benny. Lily doesn’t have any friends and has never had a boyfriend. Her only friends are the dogs she walks because her parents won’t let her have a real pet. Don’t worry the reason why is a great sub-plot in the book. Lily’s friends are her family especially her grandpa and her great aunt.

Through the notebook Dash and Lily get to know each other and learn more about the each other than those who live with them on a daily basis. Lily wants to share her love of Christmas with Dash, but he'd rather the holiday just go away. In one hilarious scene Lily sends Dash to visit Santa at Macy's in Times Square which takes hours and a power mad Elf won’t let Dash through. When Santa figures out who Dash is he asks him to reach in his suit to pull out the instructions of what to do next. Only Santa isn’t wearing anything under the jacket and it’s a funny and gross story.

All is going great until Lily fails to make the drop of the notebook and has no way to get in touch with Dash. Dash starts to wonder if sharing dares is enough or should he attempt to meet her, but he starts to wonder if Lily in real life can live up to the Lily he knows from the notebook. I found Dash and Lily to be a refreshing story and I couldn’t put it down. I literally read it straight through because I didn’t want to end the adventure. If you are looking for something romantic, sweet, funny, and over all a great book this is the one you should read! I dare you!

9 comments:

  1. I really, really enjoyed this book. It's probably my favorite at the moment (notice I said moment b/c it always changes! lol) I heard there are movie rights being made for this book & I can't wait to see it on the bigscreen! Such a cute book & great review :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I will take that dare! This is on my to-read list for my Xmas vacation. Glad you enjoyed it so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds too cute! Of course...it will need to wait a bit. I am still struggling with my first book of December. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review! I love the "I dare you!" at the end =) This book sounds like so much fun -- I'll definitely be picking it up =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved this book too! Such a great read! I checked it out from the library, but I want my own copy now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jacmom: Yes you do need your own copy :)

    Casey: read it soon!

    wordvom You will read this so quick. You love Snark I am sure you will love it!

    Anna: I think I'll re-read this at Christmas also

    Ginger @ GReads! OMG the movie would be amazing!

    Juju You must read this especially because I know how much you love holiday books.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ack! Now I want this sooooo badly, I will not end this year before getting this book. It sounds like fun! I needs it! =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. May have to pick this one up, always looking for a break in paranormal and deep lit.

    ReplyDelete