Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Review: Nightshade

Nightshade by Andrea Cremer

Rating: 3 of 5 Stars

Andrea Creamer really brings the steamy sexy scenes to Nightshade. Nightshade is about Calla an alpha female wolf that is destined to mate with Ren, the alpha male of another pack and together they will rule their own pack just like many before them. Only Calla slips and exposes herself to Shay, a human boy, when she saves him. Breaking the rules to save him is only the beginning of her defiance against everything she knows and the way she lives.

I felt that Ren and Shay were playing tug-of-war with Calla and she let her hormones easily sway her. Ren is the alpha wolf who hooks up with any female and yet gets jealous if a guy goes near Calla. On the first group date Calla shows up to a club and finds a female from Ren’s pack straddled on his lap and licking his neck. Now if I was an alpha female I would have dragged her off of him and showed her what an alpha is all about. I don’t know of a nicer way to put it than to say Ren is a man whore. On the other side there is Shay and he wants Calla to throw her whole life away for him. Can Calla simply give up her history and everything she has ever known to be with him? Every time Calla is around Ren she loses control and wants to be with him and it's the same way when she's with Shay only he is exciting because he is forbidden and represents rebellion.

I kept wondering what Calla wants for herself outside of the lust she feels for these guys. As an alpha she has always lead her pack but once the pack merges with Ren’s pack he will take over. Accepting this does not come easily to Calla. Shay wants Calla to ask herself who really decides what is best for the packs and herself. Calla knows that breaking the rules will force her to cross lines that could get her killed and endanger the entire pack. Nightshade is a fast paced story with lots of twists and turns that ends in an intense cliffhanger. I am looking forward to the follow up book in the Nightshade series entitled Wolfsbane.

7 comments:

  1. A men whore? ha! Great review, I reall am looking forward reading this book. Three stars is still enjoyable reading material. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nina: It's a good read. I just didn't fall in love with either guy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was conflicted, but I think I'm more Team Shay than not. I mean, he's got that quirky nerdiness to him that I can't resist. Ren is hot, but he's ... like you said, a playah! And I hate playahs! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree -- Ren was a total manwhore. I didn't care much for him. I thought Shay wanted her to rebel for more than just to be with him though. He sort of pointed out all the horrible things that were wrong with her world. It was an intense book! I too am excited for Wolfsbane =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome review, Cari! This is one book that I absolutely loved...I thought it was so fun! I can't pick a team though haha ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great review, I loved this one and totally agree about Ren being a man whore but I love him regarless especially towards the end. I can't wait for the next one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. nancy read this book, I will have to pry from her hands...like someone said above a 3 is still a good read.

    ReplyDelete