Thursday, December 2, 2010

Review: The Replacement


The Replacement by Brenna Yovanoff

Rating: 3 of 5 Stars

I was really excited to read The Replacement by Brenna Yovanoff. Brenna is Maggie Stiefvater’s critique partner and part of Merry Sisters of Fate. I like that The Replacement is told from a male point of view which I always find refreshing. Mackie Doyle lives in the small town of Gentry and has always been sick. He is allergic to any form of iron including the smell of blood. He looks nothing like his family and his goal is to simply fit in when really he stands out more than anyone.

The Replacement is a book about Fey and very different from any faeries I have read about before. These don’t seem as evil but as a twist there are two courts and one is made up of un-dead fey who want the town to love them while the other likes to keep the town in check with sacrifices and fear. If you have ever read about the fey folk than you know you should never ask them for help or eat or drink anything they offer, because there are always consequences. Mackie is pulled into their world and finds out he might be more like the fey than anyone in his own world, but he simply wants to remain normal.

I sadly couldn’t get fully into the story and found it lacking that certain spark that makes me want to get lost in the story. I loved the creepy cover of this book, but i just couldn't fall in love with the story itself. I do look forward to reading more from Brenna in the future.

9 comments:

  1. I'm sorry to hear you didn't love this book, but it's true that not every book is for everyone. I loved this, but I, too, had a few minor qualms with it...especially with the attitude of the town. Great honest review :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooo, I love a good male POV book! And I'm with ya, that cover is enticing. I have seen it at borders over and over again but haven't bothered to even see what it was about. Might have to check it out, after I read my two December books that is. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great honest review Cari! I really enjoyed this one and the cover being so creepy was what made me want to read it. =D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree, the story never really drew me in either.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I absolutely adore the cover of this one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really wanted to like this book. I thought the premise was intersting however I could not relate to the characters and struggled through most of the book before declaring it a DNF. Which I hate but ever since this book i've been in a total reading funk. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mollie that happened to me with a combination of Last Sacrifice and Kiss of Death. I switched to Anna and the French Kiss and it was exactly what I needed. Or have you read Dash and Lily? That was also great!

    ReplyDelete