Monday, December 6, 2010

Review: Sisters Red by Jackson Pearce

Sisters Red by Jackson Pearce

Rating:
Story: 2 star
Audio: 1 star
Cover: 4 star

Warning: I listened to this book on audio and it was not a pleasant experience.

Sisters Red is a retelling of Little Red Riding Hood. I want to go over what I did enjoy. I loved the cover of the book and the idea that we would see wolves in a villain role instead of as the hunky best friend, hero, and misunderstood emo guy. I also really like one of the main characters Scarlett, she is physically and emotionally scared.

In Sisters Red Scarlett and Rosie are sisters who live in a cabin by themselves after a wolf attacked and killed their grandmother. Scarlett makes it her mission in life to kill any wolves that come to their small town in Georgia.

Scarlett is the older sister who lost an eye and has horrible scars from a wolf attack and lives with those horrible memories every day. Her life goal is to stop the wolves and protect her little sister Rosie. Enter Silas, a young woodsman who has hunted with Scarlett all his life but decided that the hunt wasn’t for him and he walked away. A year later he returns to the woods to find Scarlett still hunting and Rosie at 16 has grown up. Rosie, much like Silas also wants a life outside the hunt but Scarlett saved her as a child and she feels she owes it to her sister to stay with her. I personally would not want someone to stay with me out of obligation. Scarlett assumes that Rosie feels the same way about hunting and that it is their obligation to stop the wolves because others can’t.

During the hunt they find out that new wolves can only be turned every few years and this happens to be a turning year and the wolves are searching for potential victims. To broaden their search Rosie, Scarlett, and Silas move to Atlanta to hunt.

Silas, 21 and Rosie, 16 develop a relationship without Scarlett realizing it and he encourages her to find a life outside of the hunt. Rosie deals with a lot of guilt especially where her sister is involved. Rosie was my least favorite character for many reasons. She wants more but feels guilty about it and I don’t feel that her main focus is her sister like she says. The sisters keep saying they are half of the same heart and this didn’t really make sense to me. I think it would be a great line if they were twins. In my opinion if Rosie really cared about her sister she would have flat out asked Scarlett "do you have feelings for Silas because I think I like him?" I also felt it was selfish of Rosie to pursue something with Silas because she is a pretty girl who could have met many guys but instead chose the one guy who knew and accepted her sister, scars and all. Did I mention I’m not a fan of her's?

The Wolves! The wolves can shift to human males and are really handsome and only choose to eat pretty girls. They spend their time at clubs, bowling, jogging in groups, and at salsa classes in community centers searching for girls. I was hoping for creepy lurking vicious beasts and didn’t really get this.

Scarlett finds out about the relationship between her best friend and little sister and does not take it well. She leaves to try to figure out what is happening and finds out more about Silas’s past than even he knows about. During this time, while Scarlett is gone, Rosie lets her guard down and gets kidnapped by the wolves. Scarlett and Silas work together to try to get Rosie back and it's this decision that will change the rest of their lives.

I have heard mixed reviews about this book some people love it while others not so much. Me, not so much but I will give the author another chance in the future.

Listening to the audiobook I hated the accents the characters have. I also felt the narrators was reading really slow and I could have been finished with the book long before the audio was done. I was also really irritated by the fact that the narrators spoke every sigh and grimace. I really should have just read the book because it might have turned out different than listening to it on audio.

Remember this is simply my opinion. I normally just give a flat rating, but since this was an audio I want to rate things a little different.

11 comments:

  1. Oh, dang! I really liked Sisters Red. I read the book though. There are many times where I listened to an audio book and thought I would like the book better if I read it. Wings for example. Ugh, that woman's voice! Give Sweetly a try - read it, not listen! ;)

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jen,

    I'm not giving up on Jackson Pearce because she seems like a really nice person. I love her VLogs! I do blame a lot on the audio. I will READ Sweetly. Trust me I struggled with this review a lot. I wanted to love it and was disappointed that I didn't.

    Cari

    Cari

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did enjoy the book for the most part, I was also irritated by some of the things going on in the story, but man am I glad that I read the book and didn't do the audio book! :) Wonderfully thorough review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bummer. I wonder how the book it self fairs. Great audio review :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like this way that you did reviews this week! I know you can't do the "audio" part for every review, but this is a great way to break it down! I may or may not borrow it for my next review...just saying.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Juju: A lot of people really liked the book so I would say to try reading it.

    Magan: Borrow away :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. A Simple Love of Reading,

    As you can see my experiences with audio books have not been pleasant. Maybe I'm just not meant to be an audio reader.

    Cari

    ReplyDelete
  8. I told you not to listen to it!!!! You should've read it because from the snippet I heard from your audiobook I knew I wouldn't have liked it either. Reading the book to me was a much better experience even though Rosie was kind of annoying sometimes but I really did like Scarlett. Great honest review! =)

    ReplyDelete
  9. The wolves sound hilarious! But I definitely get that it doesn't make sense for them to be that way and then also be the ones who scarred Rosie. I definitely won't be listening to the audio, and will probably won't be in a hurry to pick this one up. Thanks for the honest review!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cynthia this is your fault for not letting me borrow your copy ;)

    Casey: The audio really did make the experience bad.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a very respectful honest review. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete