Thursday, December 9, 2010

Review: Two Way Street

Two Way Street by Lauren Barnholdt

Rating: 2 of 5 Stars

I was hoping for a fun lighthearted novel with characters you would really love but Two Way Street fell short. The characters are obsessed with myspace so the story feels a little dated but you can easily replace any social media site and get the same outcome. In Two Way Street Courtney is forced to road trip to college with her ex-boyfriend who dumped her for a girl he met on myspace. Courtney’s character comes off as extremely immature, controlling, and bratty. She spends so much time trying to picture what the myspace girl is like and how the myspace girl is with her ex Jordan.

I must warn you I feel this would be for the more mature YA reader because there is a lot of drinking and casual hooking up. I was annoyed that the parents were being far more immature than the teens. The most likeable character is Jordan. Jordan was a player who believed in nothing more than hooking up. Then he meets Courtney who is pretty, but definitely not the hookup type. He tries to change his ways but then discovers a secret about Courtney’s family that will cause him to reconsider things with her.

There are a lot of points where the book drags and I felt there was too much inner monologue. After the road trip from hell Courtney and Jordan are forced to stop running from the issues that caused their break up and they must decide if they are done for good.

I did like that the book was told from Courtney and Jordan’s points of views so you really get a feel for what both characters are going through. I will say that it might be a while before I pick up another book by this author.

8 comments:

  1. Immature parents would annoy me too. Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sad you didn't like this book :( I've noticed a few book bloggers have issues with books that are too "young adult", meaning the characters make immature choices & what not. Even though it's an ADULT writing this, you have to remember these are still teenagers.

    I did love Jordan though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't have a problem with immature. Some of my favorite books make immature choices. With Twilight Saga Bella made many immature choices. Or when Kiara glues the cookies to Carlos's locker in Rules of Attraction or some of the craziness that goes on in Morganville. Dash and Lily were very immature but fun. I just didn't feel a connection with this book. Also I might point out these characters are teens going to college.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My friend read this book and said that it was amazing. Thanks for the review. Reading your insight makes me not want to read it as much.

    ~Alison

    ReplyDelete
  5. love how you mentioned ROA :D i really like the sound of this one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would have soley picked this book up based on the cover, but you giving it a 2 will keep me from buying. Thanks for your honest review.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I didn't realize this whole book was about a girl being upset with a Myspace relationship...that really is a turn-off! Thanks for pointing that out in the review! I think that's why I don't like pop culture references in books, it just dates them!

    ReplyDelete