Monday, January 24, 2011

Review: The Iron Queen

The Iron Queen by Julie Kagawa

Rating: 4 of 5 Stars


The intensity of this book was at an all time high. Your heart has to be made of iron to not fall in love with this series. In The Iron Daughter, Meghan, Ash, and Puck saved the specter but lost a friend to battle. When they returned to Faery both Winter and Summer made them choose to return to their court or be exiled if they chose to be together. When we begin The Iron Queen Ash and Meghan both chose exile than to be apart. [Ash I love you!] Meghan also discovers that the memory she traded in The Iron King was important and her first mission is to get it back. Ash is willing to do anything to make Meghan happy that he even talks about marrying her someday, if that’s what she wishes. [Ash I love you so much!] Seriously these outbursts are what happened as I was reading The Iron Queen.

With each minute that passes Faery is dying and the false Iron King is hunting Meghan in the human world. Trust me when I say there is never a dull moment. In the back of Meghan’s mind she knows that one day she will have to kill the False King, but to be successful she might have to sacrifice it all. Once Meghan realizes what she lost in her memory she seeks refuge with Leanansidhe, Queen of the Exile. While there she finds out that Puck disobeyed Oberon and went after Meghan so the team is back together. Meghan spends her time getting to know someone from her past and training with Ash for the day she will face the False King. If I was Meghan I would have wanted to live in this part of the story forever.

Winter and Summer come to realize that Meghan is their only hope to save Faery and send for her to help save what is left of Faery. As before Ash and Puck will not let her go alone and know that spending time in the Iron Relm will kill them. There are intense battles, sacrifices, broken hearts, and an ending I would never have guessed. I was crying for hours after I finished this book. Trust me when I say this book lives up to the hype. If you loved City of Glass, Mockingjay, Ink Exchange, the battles in Lord of the Rings than this book is for you. Just fair warning there will be intense sadness. Julie joins my top fey authors along Maggie Stiefvater, Melissa Marr, and Holly Black. The only reason this book did not get a 5 star is because I was so heart broken by the ending.

The Iron Fey series in order:
The Iron King
Winter's Passage (mini online novella)
The Iron Daughter
The Iron Queen
The Iron Knight (coming soon)

Thank you to NetGalley & HarlequinTeen for the review copy!

12 comments:

  1. I can't wait to read this one so I can have some closure! Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jasmine OMG closure is the last thing you get! I'm so confused because I guess the story will continue with The Iron Knight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just snorted alone in my cube while reading "your heart is made of iron if you didn't fall in love with this book"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Magan: LOL I know I'm so dorkish and cheesy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved this book, I'm so with you in loving Ash sooo sooo much! =D Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm going to have to check this series out! Sounds very good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved this book! :) and this series! Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jayme: You really should but be prepared for tears!

    Thanks Jacinda!

    Cynthia: I love my Ash charm bracelet!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Intense it sounds! I still need to read THE IRON DAUGHTER though.

    Too many books and too little time, and money!

    ReplyDelete
  10. TEAM ASH TEAM ASH TEAM ASH!!!! I seriously loved this book and cannot wait for The Iron Knight to come out. Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am a little late with this series. I won the Iron King on a contest and it should be in here any day now. so I will be starting it shortly. I also got that little novella (Winters Passage I think is what its called)...when should I read it? after which book is best??
    p.s. I see my button over there. lol thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Girl's in the stack: Iron Daughter was my favorite.


    Tara: I agree Team Ash! Cries a little!

    TwiMom: I updated the list Winter's Passage comes after the Iron King before Iron Daughter.

    ReplyDelete