Monday, January 10, 2011

Review: Prom and Prejudice


Prom and Prejudice by Elizabeth Eulberg

Rating: 3 of 5 Stars


Prom and Prejudice is Elizabeth Eulberg’s second novel and her way of paying homage to Jane Austen’s famous novel Pride and Prejudice. I loved her first book The Lonely Heart’s Club but I didn’t have that connection with this book. I have never read Pride and Prejudice but have seen the movies so I’m somewhat familiar with who the characters are and what happens. I think it somewhat helped me granted not as much as if I had read the book.

Prom and Prejudice is set in modern day and Lizzy is studying at a boarding school as a scholarship student. All the trust fund kids treat her horrible except Jane, her room mate and best friend. I felt that description of the characters was lacking and it made it hard for me to visualize who everyone was, but maybe this was lacking because Pride and Prejudice is so famous. Another thing was that every now and then they would speak as if in Victorian times and it threw me off. I know it’s been a while since I have been a teen but guys don’t call each other gentlemen. Lizzy meets Will Darcy at a party and dismisses her for being a scholarship student. Only as the story goes on Darcy tries to get to know Lizzy but she can’t see past the fact he is one of the rich kids. Darcy and Lizzy are thrown together a lot since Jane is dating Charles who is best friends with Darcy. There are plenty of fun and quirky misunderstandings and Lizzy always finds her pride holding her back from truly telling Darcy how she feels.

I was really looking forward to this book and while it was cute I felt it fell short. The cover of the book is gorgeous and one of my favorite covers but the story wasn’t for me. I do look forward to giving Elizabeth Eulberg another chance in the future.

4 comments:

  1. Bummer. It had such potential. Thanks for your honesty :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love an honest review! I still want to read this, but I don't think I'll be running out to the bookstore to buy it right away. And don't worry, I have never read Pride & Prejudice either!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ooh, you are going to LOVE Pride and Prejudice! So good! :) This sounds like a fun read, too bad it didn't deliver. :( I think I will wait till it's out in paperback.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. To be honest, I didn't like Eulberg's first book, The Lonely Hearts Club. I thought it was very flat. This doesn't sound like it's that much better, so I'll probably pass. Great review though! :)

    ReplyDelete