Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Review: XVI


XVI by Julia Karr

Rating: 4 of 5 Stars


XVI is set in 2150 where life is different and a lot more dangerous for young girls. At sixteen girls are considered adults and the government and media encourages them to become ready for sex at sixteen often called sex-teen. Nina is raised by Ginnie, a single mother who instills in her never to become one of those girls and Nina listens. Sandy, Nina’s best friend buys the hype and believes that the only way out of the lower tiers of society is to become a sex-teen. Sandy dresses the part and watches the government videos about how to better attract a man and is over the top. Nina would prefer not to turn sixteen and fears the idea of what will happen when faced with being eligible.

Life takes an even more complicated turn when Ginnie is killed and on her deathbed revealed that Nina’s father isn’t dead and she has to deliver a secret book to him. Ginnie also pleads with Nina to keep Dee, her younger half-sister away, from Dee's abusive father Ed. Nina’s world spins out of control with the news of her father and the responsibility to keep her younger sister safe. Ed knew that Ginnie had secrets and will stop at nothing to get them from Nina.

Nina has a great circle of friends who help keep her sane and Dee safe. She even finds love when she stumbles on a group of guys beating up a homeless teen. Only Sal isn't homeless. He is rebellious, hard to read, and protective of Nina. Sal is so wonderful and nothing like the guys who want over sexed teen girls. So very dreamy!

Unfortunately Ed has no problem killing to get to Nina and will stop at nothing to get to her. The suspense and mystery will keep you hooked until the last page. This book is great for teens to read because while this book is fiction it’s not far off from teens growing up to fast and influenced by media. I think the story could have done without some of the futuristic slang that seemed to get in the way of the story but I also get that’s dystopia. I found this to be a great debut book and look forward to more books from Julia Karr.

12 comments:

  1. So it's like Teen mom + Third world sex trafficking + Bumped? Or am I way off?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the review. :D I've seen the cover of this book, but this is the first time that I've actually read anything about it. Sounds different.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why are so many books about young forced marriages/teen sex/etc? I have to admit though...this sounds good ;)

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Magan: Yes a bit and include the government and media teaching young girls how to be a video girl.

    Laura: I like that it's an extreme of what we see today, but not by much.

    Melissa: Sometimes it is a hard subject to read about. I usually have to switch to something really cheerful. This book didn't depress me so I say it's good because it brings awareness to being desensitized.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds like something I might like! Does that make me a bad person? LOL. I just love dystopic fiction.

    ReplyDelete
  6. LeLe: Dystopia is really popular right now and I think you would enjoy this book.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great review, I can't wait to get to this one. It sounds really good. =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really need to read this one! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, this sounds super intense. I will definitely be checking this one out!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great point about media influence and FAB review :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just got this one and can't wait to start it. Nice review!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I skimmed your review, because I am half way through and I am trying to avoid potential spoilers. So far it is really intense.

    ReplyDelete