Saturday, February 12, 2011

Interview with Kimberly Derting

Today I have one of my favorite authors Kimberly Derting stopping by to talk about life as an author and her new book Desires of the Dead. For those of you who are not familiar with Kimberly then I highly recommend you pick up The Body Finder her debut novel.




How does it feel to have your second book published?
Exciting. Nerve wracking. Intense. And did I mention exciting?!?!?

How has the fan reaction been?
So far I’ve been thrilled with the response to Desires of the Dead! I think most authors, especially debuts and even more so if it’s a series, worry about that second book. I certainly did. I felt a ton of pressure to have it live up to The Body Finder. So to have early readers give a positive response…YAY!

Recently your books were auctioned off for close to 100 dollars for Charity and I heard that after it ended people still wanted to bid. How was that?
Insane! I expected it to get a couple of bids, but when I saw how high it was going, I was kind of overwhelmed! But I’m so glad that the money went towards such a great cause!

Last year you told me you were surviving on skittles for meals. How was it surviving writing Desires of the Dead?
I’m still eating Skittles…and unfortunately, more fast food than I should. I’m still finding that balance between my writing life and my family life, and unfortunately, if one of them has to give it’s usually the household stuff. Thankfully, my husband and kids are supportive and we’re working it out.

How does it feel to come off Harper Summer Tour, Smart Chicks tour, and now Dark Days of Summer?
It’s been sort of surreal. The group tours are great because I get to hang out with these uber-talented authors whose books I’ve read over the years (it makes me feel like I’m sitting at the cool table!) But even better, I LOVE getting the chance to meet my readers!!!!!

About Desires of the Dead

How has Violet changed?
I think she’s learning to accept that her ability can be a good thing, that she can use it to help others.

In YA parents are usually not in the picture. How did you approach it?
I decided to give Violet the parents I would hope I would be if one of my kids had such an unusual/frightening ability. I wouldn’t want them to have to hide it from me and I didn’t want Violet to have to hide what she could do, so I made her parents (and her aunt and uncle) very present and supportive in her life.

My Twitter friends and I were arguing over Jay because he’s such an amazing boyfriend. Where did you get the inspiration for his character?
LOL! I would love to say that he was based on someone I actually know because…well, then I would know Jay! But, really, he’s the kind of friend/boyfriend I think I would have wanted in high school.

How did you decide what Jay would give Violet for her birthday?
OMG, funny that you ask because this is one of those instances where I sprinkled in a little of my real life…or rather, my brother’s. When he was in the 2nd grade, his little girlfriend combed his hair right before school pictures were taken. As a result, I have this awesomely goofy picture of him with a totally crooked part and his hair all slicked down with water. It’s one of my favorite childhood pictures of him!

In The Body Finder you had crazy serial killers now that they are out of the picture did you find it difficult to keep the same creepy factor?
I definitely wanted to steer away from setting up the same storyline—another serial killer—but we live in a world where creepy can come in so many forms. I love the new storyline since Violet is so much more involved with the “bad guy”.

What comes next?
I wish I could tell you now, but the publishing world is riddled with all these crazy secrets…which is terrible for someone like me who has a big mouth and wants to share everything with everyone! But, I promise, I will be sharing news soon. And I’m SUPER excited about it!

For more on Kimberly Derting visit: http://www.kimberlyderting.com

The Body Finder is in stores now and Desires of the Dead available by preorder.
Book Depository | Amazon | Barnes & Noble | IndieBound

I would like to thank Kimberly for stopping by my blog and encourage you to pick up her books!

17 comments:

  1. That was a great interview with great questions! I'm so excited for Desires of the Dead it isn't even funny!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful Interview! I can't wait for Desires of the Dead I'm so excited to meet Violet and especially Jay again ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great interview. Patiently waiting for The Body Finder to come back to the library!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful interview! And I love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great interview! Kimberly seems so friendly and down-to-earth. She definitely belongs at the cool table! =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved this interview! I started The Body Finder recently but haven't had time yet to finish it, and I sooo can't wait until I can pick it back up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great Interview!!! I'm a HUGE fan of The Body Finder Series. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great interview! I haven't read the book yet, but now I think I think I need to check it out! Thanks for sharing and I'm SO jealous of Kimberly's hair in her picture!

    ReplyDelete
  9. you go girl bring it you got it and check out my blog save the mustangs k :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Loved the interview!! I can't wait to read her books. They are in my "to be read" pile. Everyone that I know has had nothing but wonderful things to say about them!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great interview, M! I'm so glad I stumbled upon these books :-) Jay is.. well you know my thoughts on him ;-) hehe

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great interview! I've heard of the first book, but haven't got to it yet. :( Sounds like an amazing series! Thank you for the interview.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow great interview with and amazing author! I have yet to read her book but it is for sure on my TBR list =]
    -Katelyn

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm actually just curious, and maybe didn't spot it by skimming over, but how is KD one of your favourite authors if this is her debut novel?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Desires of the Dead is Kim's second novel the first is The Body Finder.

    ReplyDelete