Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Review: Desires of the Dead


Desires of the Dead by Kimberly Derting

Rating:5 of 5 Stars


Desires of the Dead is the follow up to The Body Finder where Violet has the ability to find the dead if they are not properly laid to rest. She also sees a matching imprint on the killer which could make her extremely valuable if her gift is ever revealed. The only people who know about what Violet can do is her family, as it was passed through the women in her family, and also her best-friend-turned-boyfriend Jay. Jay learned about what Violet could do when they were kids and has always accepted who she is. There has been much swooning for Jay. When Violet finds an Echo, it seems to drain her of any energy until the body is put to rest. Jay is always by her side to keep her going but readers shouldn’t get the impression that this makes Violet a fragile girl who needs to be saved; if anything, she doesn’t run or hide from her gift.

On a regular outing with her friend, Violet finds an Echo calling to her and drawing her closer. Violet isn’t able to do anything without her friend finding out, but that doesn’t mean that she will stop. This particular Echo changes Violet’s life in more ways than she could imagine. In helping, she attracts the attention of the FBI and realizes since Jay is now her boyfriend, she can’t tell him everything as she did when they were best friends. Jay, as a boyfriend, wants to protect Violet and that might mean telling her parents about the dangerous situations she puts herself in; but Violet isn’t ready to share everything with her parents.

With the FBI on her trail and Jay’s overwhelming need to protect her, Violet also feels that she is being stalked. First, hang up calls and then, creepy gifts are left at her car and later, threatening letters. When she turns to Jay, she doesn’t find the answers she needs and things get shaky. Violet is also dealing with the insecurities that come with dating a guy who every woman seems to want. I would like to include myself on that list! All the stress and secrets cause major problems for Jay and Violet. Kimberly writes scenes so beautifully that you can’t help but to get emotionally invested in these characters. Jay, I heart you!

I love that Violet’s family members see that she is going through a lot and give Violet the space to deal with it in her own way, but they are always close enough if she needs them. I can’t remember reading a YA book with such emotionally-stable families. Desires of the Dead really has it all! There is plenty of stalker/ killer creepiness, and yet lots of love, kissing, sweetness, and of course the emotional stuff. Kimberly Derting is an amazing author and has quickly become one of my favorites. I can see myself re-reading both The Body Finder and Desires of the Dead over and over. I would recommend this book to everyone and I see movie potential all over these books.

Desires of the Dead will be released 2/15/11 so get your copy!


Thank you to HarperTeen for providing a review copy.

9 comments:

  1. I loved Body Finder I cannot wait to read this. Sounds great. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need this book NOW! I cannot wait to read it - so happy you enjoyed it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh 5 out of 5. I've been lurking and seeing if I want to read this series, so I may have to eventually check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Susan & Tara This is a great follow up book to the body finder. Jay is amazing!

    Magan
    If you take one book recommendation from me ever let it be The Body Finder. It's that good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh how I love Jay. *Le sigh* This book rocked. I am obsessed with this series.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice review. It sounds really creepy with the stalking.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Cari! Had to skip this since I haven't read the first, but I love the sound of the series love the creepy aspect to it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Now that I finally posted my review I'm able to read yours. I really like the family in this one, I agree with you that Violet's family is a great one and I love their support and love for her. Of course Jay is soooo swoon worthy, one of the main reasons for me loving this series. Great review! =D

    ReplyDelete