Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Review: Hex Hall by Rachel Hawkins

Hex Hall by Rachel Hawkins

Rating: 4 of 5 Stars


Why did I wait so long to read this book? Cynthia from A Blog about Nothing read it and loved it, but for some reason it kept slipping to the bottom of my to read list. Big mistake because I loved this book! Sophie Mercer is half witch from her father's side but raised by her human mother. Sophie cast a minor spell that goes horribly wrong and exposes her magic to her entire school so she is sent away to Hecate School.

Hecate or Hex Hall as the students call it is where witches, fey, and shapshifters go when they expose who they are in the human world. Sophie hopes that at Hecate she will make friends with others like her, but she soon realizes that fitting in isn't easy especially when she discovers more about her magical history. Sophie is also thrown together with Archer, the super hot guy at school, but he is dating Elodie. Elodie needs Sophie to join her group but can't stand Sophie.  I love that Sophie is witty and had me laughing out loud when she tries to conjure a dress.

From beginning to end Hex hall was unexpected and I enjoyed every minute. The ending is left open for Demonglass, book two in the Hex Hall series that will be released March 1, 2011. I will gladly pick up anything that Rachel Hawkins writes.

For more on Rachel Hawkins visit: http://readingwritingrachel.blogspot.com/

13 comments:

  1. This is on my TBR pile. I can't wait to eventually get to it. I have heard lots of good stuff about it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I TOLD YOU SO!!!!! =D I'm so glad you loved it, one of my favorites from last year. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This one keeps slipping down my list too! I MUST read it, especially after your glowing review :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was a fantastic read. Loved every minute of it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. After reading your sparkling review of this book, I'd really like to read it :). So thank you.
    It's very much on my to read pile as from now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Everyone needs to read this book! It's awesome! I love Sophie, she's hilarious! And Demonglass is just as good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh this does sound very good. :) I remember reading all the reviews at the time of release, and thought it sounded really good. I'm going to have to think on this one again. And I was talking to a friends daughter and her friend who are big book kids, and this was on the top of their list. :) Thanks for the great review!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It sounds like an excellent YA read! I'm sure my daughter and I would love it! Thanks for the great review. I am visiting from Blogs of Note! Congratulations on this designation. I am a new follower too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I lovelovelove this book! Should be starting Demonglass soon, I'm so excited. :)

    Great review, btw!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Also on my to be read pile. Maybe I will move it up a bit closer to the top - your review has made me want to read it! x

    ReplyDelete
  11. I want to read this book for so long now, the cover is great, story sounds like something I really enjoy. You say the ending is left open? Then I'll start with HEX HALL when DEMONGLASS is out:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's good book. When i read it , i laugh many time ;)

    ReplyDelete