Monday, February 7, 2011

Review: Unearthly

Unearthly by Cynthia Hand

4 of 5 Stars


In a sentence Unearthly is the story of a girl who has a calling and finds love in an unexpected place along the way. Ok it’s a little more complicated like the fact that Clara is part angel and her calling is her reason for being. Clara found out as a teen that she was special and that her mom was half angel. At sixteen she has her first vision of a guy in the woods surrounded by fire. At first the visions are muddled and hard to figure out but as time approaches the visions will be clear. When Clara finds out that mission leads her to Wyoming to save Christian, the guy from her visions her mother quickly uproots her family so Clara can fulfill her mission.

When Clara get’s to Wyoming things don’t go smoothly. See Christian is dating Kay who instantly hates Clara and for good reason because when Clara is around Christian she feels an instant pull to him. He is pretty gorgeous and Clara actually passes out the first time she sees him. LOL Yes I said she passes out. Clara gets on Kay’s bad side makes life pretty isolated. She does meet Wendy who isn’t one of the popular kids, but quickly befriends her. Only problem is that Wendy’s twin Tucker picks on her, and always finds a way to drive her crazy. Tucker gives her a hard in class and loves to call her carrots after a bad dye job.

Shortly after arriving in Wyoming Christian and Kay break up which gives Clara the opportunity to get close to Christian. He of course doesn’t make it very easy but she tries to remind herself that this is about a mission and not about falling in love with him. Clara invites him to prom and surprisingly he agrees but just as she is making progress Kay falls apart and Christian leaves with her. Clara is left taking a ride from Tucker. Tucker might give Clara a world of grief, but he helps Clara when she needs him.

To further complicate things Christian is spending the summer in New York so Clara takes the time to get to know her surroundings and prep for the day she will save Christian. Being in Wyoming Clara finds happiness and love which only help her with her power.

Unearthly is Cynthia Hand’s first novel and part of a series. Hand is currently working on Hollow the second book in the series which will be released in 2012. I will say the ending is something I never would have expected. I mean Holy Cliffhanger what the beep just happened type of ending?!? Also it took me the first 50 pages to really find myself emerged in the story but it’s so worth it and I’m excited about the second book.

9 comments:

  1. Can't wait to read this one, is on my tbr pile. Hopefully I'll get to it in a couple of weeks. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really? I was sucked in immediately. I need more Tucker in my life so I can't wait for book 2.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this one! And yes^^^...I need more Tucker, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really liked this book AND you know how much I despise angel books! Good review....

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay! I'm glad you liked it :-) did you get the Vampire Academy vibe from it?? I did.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah, I can't wait to read this book. I ordered this weekend and I'm hoping for no more snow so it can be delivered!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love me some Tucker. Completely and totally swoonworthy :) Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just got this one today! Can't wait to get started on it :)

    ReplyDelete