Sunday, February 27, 2011

Spotlighting Illegal by Bettina Restrepo


Release Date: 3/8/2011


About:
Nora is on a desperate journey far away from home. When her father leaves their beloved Mexico in search of work, Nora fights to make sense of her loss while waiting for her father’s return and a better day. When the letters and money from her father stop coming, Nora decides that she and her mother must look for him in Texas. After a harrowing experience crossing the border, the two are all alone in a strange place called Houston. Now, Nora figures out how to survive while still aching for small comforts: friends, a new school, and a quinceaƱera to mark her fifteenth birthday.

Bettina Restrepo’s powerful and deeply hopeful debut novel captures the challenges of one girl’s unique yet universal immigrant experience.

Praise for Illegal:
"Bettina Restrepo’s first novel is a vivid and unsparing look at the life of an illegal teenage girl who comes to the U.S. from Mexico in search of her father. Faith, family, and friendship are all features of this unforgettable individual life, which is emblematic of so many others that are too seldom examined in novels for teens. An important novel that deserves a wide readership."—Michael Cart, author of My Father's Scar and Love and Sex: Ten Stories of Truth

Source: Harper Collins

If you would like to participate in a signed giveaway of Illegal answer the following question and your name will go into a grand drawing hosted by Bettina.

Would you break the law to find your family across a foreign border?

 Rules:
Leave a comment with your entry name/alias and where you live
Contest is open international
Winners must be over the age of 13
The winner will be announced on Facebook and Twitter April 1, 2011 and you must reply to Bettina to collect your prize

13 comments:

  1. Houston is a strange place! I like hearing about books set in Houston.

    Would I cross the border to find my family? Absolutely. I would go anywhere to help them out, whether they asked for it or not. Laws should be honored, but there are always exceptions that are worth the risk.

    ReplyDelete
  2. O I am so so so glad you are spotlighting this book. It sounds amazing and deserves the hype.

    The first thing that comes to mind is the film "La Misma Luna" or "Under the Same Moon". Have you seen it?

    (not an entry)

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a first generation American/child of immigrants, I am always fascinated and enamored by immigrant tales.

    (not an entry)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I am soo excited about this book.

    I would totally go across the boarder to find my family. Family is the most important people in our lives and sometimes the law does not include the value that family holds.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Megan McDade/Twilighter from Northern Ireland


    Would you break the law to find your family across a foreign border?

    Yes I would def break the law to find a family acroos the border. There would be no question about it I wouldnt even think twice.

    p.s This books sounds really good and the cover is pretty as well

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sigh...yet another book to add to me "Books I want to read" list!
    I am generally a "never break the law person" but when family is involved I would break the law to find my family across a border!

    ReplyDelete
  7. There are family members I am not on the best of terms with but whatever they needed I would be there as recently they have for me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think that when it comes to family there is no question about it; I would go where I was needed regardless of the political boundries. As a resident of the Pacific Northwest, this really is not an issue for me, but I see it in the faces of my students all of the time. Many of my students were born in the US but their parents were not. People come to Portland seeking a better life for their family and you can't fault the parents for that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would definitely break the law to cross the borders for my family/husband. I love them dearly.
    Kansas

    Vivien
    deadtossedwaves at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Of course I would. Since I live very close to Houston, I can empathize to this. Family comes first. Sounds like a good read.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes I would. It's very possible I'd hesitate before doing so, but I'd do it.

    Thanks a lot for the spotlight and giveaway! I wish I'd pre-ordered it back when it were on special.

    cc932005 at hotmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Of course I would cross the border to bring someone in my family back. I could never just leave them in a foreign country. Hopefully they would do the same for me as well.

    findjessyhere at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you to everyone who enetered! Feel free to comment on the other Illegal posts for extra entries.

    This comment closes out the netries for this post. Thanks Cari!

    ReplyDelete