Sunday, March 20, 2011

Book Event: Bettina Restrepo

I just wanted to share a fun event I went to yesterday. Bettina Restrepo came to Houston to promote her debut novel Illegal. I loved this book and couldn't wait to meet Bettina in person. Bettina did a reading that almost brought me to tears and then took questions. I could relate to Illegal so this book is really special to me and to hear the author read is such a special treat. I got to spend some time talking to Bettina who I have gotten to know online and she is so much fun in person.


Christin from Between The Covers came out and it was great to see her. Also in attendance were local authors Joy Preble, Crystal Allen, Christina Mandelski, and Jenny Moss. The staff at Blue Willow Bookshop is amazing and I love that you can frequently find signed books.

I have said it before and I'll say it again go get Illegal and support debut authors!  Also if you are in the Houston area stop by Blue Willow Bookshop and if you can't make it to Houston and you know your favorite author is signing call and order a personalized copy.

10 comments:

  1. Wow! It sounds like you had an awesome time. It's always great when you personally connect with a book, and it's even better when you get to meet the author!

    ReplyDelete
  2. so. very. jealous. of both of you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Natalie: It's a great book I hope you get a chance to read it and thanks for visiting my blog.

    Gae: Come to Texas! Do I need to start a Bring Gae to Texas petition?

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG how cool! I'm envious! So many cool things come from Texas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's great that you can personally relate to the book and the author sounds wonderful :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bettina looks SO happy! Sounds like you guys had such a great time! Wish I would have made it. Can't wait to meet her at TLA! In fact, I think I put you in charge of her signing line. How you like them apples?

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cari, it was great event -- I've finally settled down with Illegal and am blown away by the beautiful writing and the intriguing story.

    It was so nice to meet you -- I know I speak for all us debut-ees when I say thanks for all of your support!

    Christina

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awww, I wish I could've been able to go, sounds like it was a lot of fun. Glad you got to meet her Maria! =)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Juju: Come visit!

    Thanks Tara!

    Christina: It was so great to meet you! In less than two months we will be celebrating your book! How exciting! Thank you!

    Cynthia: I missed ya!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's brilliant you got to go! She sounds like an amazing author :)

    ReplyDelete