Thursday, March 24, 2011

Review: Lipstick Laws

Lipstick Laws by Amy Holder

Rating: 4 of 5 Stars

Perfect for: Older Middle Grade – 16
(Adults will also enjoy!)


April Bowers is freaking out her only friend has moved away and now she is starting her sophomore year all alone. While in gym class April makes a friend, but this isn’t just any friend. April clicks with Britney the “it girl” who thinks that April is new to her school and could possibly have friend potential. Britney is the queen of mean and her idea of nice is a backhanded compliment. April decides that being Britney’s minion is better than being alone. She also keeps reminding herself that Britney can’t be that bad After a makeover and plenty of hoop jumping April is presented with the Lipstick Laws and she is officially part of Britney’s crew, which means life should get easier right? Well, April quickly breaks the rules and makes Britney so angry that she creates new rules based on April. Britney doesn’t feel that kicking April out of her group is enough and sets out to destroy her. Only April decides that instead of going back to being the girl that nobody knows exists, she fights back and decides that everyone needs to know what Britney is really like. Throughout the book you come to realize that Britney and April aren’t that different and this can be both good and bad, but makes for a great and funny story.

The entire time I was reading this book I thought, man this is the kind of stuff Taylor Swift writes songs about. Also if you enjoyed The Lonely Hearts Club by Elizabeth Eulberg than you will really like this book. The only thing that kept me from giving this book a 5 star rating is some of the slang felt like to much info like when she refers to her sesame seed chest. I think this story is going to be a win for older middle graders to about 16 year olds, but I am convinced that anyone will enjoy this book. Amy Holder told a great story and I’m looking forward to many more books from her.

Chapter One of Lipstick Laws

For more on Amy Holder visit: http://www.amyholder.com

Lipstick Laws will be in stores April 4th so pre-order your copy now!

10 comments:

  1. I truly enjoyed this one although I gave it one star less. Mainly because I just read Populazzi which I enjoyed a little bit more. But, in the end it was a great and fun novel!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking forward to reading this one soon, so glad you liked it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've had this book on my nook & hadn't read it yet. I've heard mixed things about it though. You're the second person to recommend it to a younger crowd. I like that you compared it to The Lonely Hearts Club - I really liked that book.

    Great review M! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a galley of this book and I really need to check it out. Thanks for the review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm still trying to decide if I really, really want to read this one. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice review and I LOVE that you were thinking of Taylor Swift. I love her music.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, i love this post! I think ill love the book too. Cant wait to get me hands on it!

    Lovelylit.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds like a fun read! It reminds me of those quirky, Maureen Johnson/Lindsey Leavitt type reads!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really want to know what the "Lipstick Laws" are and what April does to break them! I originally passed this book over, but I think I'll go back and add it to my TBR :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fab review Cari going to go and look up the book right now :)

    ReplyDelete