Monday, March 28, 2011

Review: Memento Nora


Memento Nora by Angie Smibert

Rating: 5 of 5 Stars


Warning prepare for lots of gushing about how much I loved Memento Nora. I want to start out by telling you that sometimes I have a difficult time with dystopia and sci-fi because I don't always feel like I can relate to such a different world or it makes me sad to think that we couldn't survive as a society and we almost cause our own destruction and a new radical world takes it's place. For those who feel the same way I do, I want to recommend Memento Nora to you because it is set in the future but you don't feel like a whole new world is forced on you. I felt that it could be possible for this future to happen but I also think that fans of Dystopia and Sci-fi could enjoy this.

In Memento Nora the world is 40-50 years in the future and terrorism is at an all time high. Car bombings happen every few days and there are Therapeutic Forgetting Centers (TFC) that help people forget any traumatic event with a simple pill that will only cause you to forget that specific event.

Nora makes to her first trip to a TFC after witnessing a bookstore bombing while she is out on a shopping trip with her mother. Her mom goes to to TFC almost weekly and Nora loves that after her mom is finished she's in a great mood and usually ready for more shopping. While she is in the waiting room she sees Micah, a skater kid from school, coming out after a TFC session and he spits his white pill out when no one is looking. Since it's Nora's first time her mom tells her that her father beat her and she takes her pill to forget. Nora decides that like Micah she doesn't want to forget and she spits the pill out as she exits the center.

From that moment on nothing in Nora's life will ever be normal and she seeks out Micah. They decide to put their stories in comics that will be titled Memento, which means remember in Latin, and distribute them so others can see the truth. They hope that other kids will share their stories before they take the pill to forget. Micah is not a jock or distant if anything he's sweet and caring and really makes a great love interest. *Micah I love you* In a way he sort of reminds me of Peeta from Hunger Games and Jay from The Body Finder. With help from Micah's artsy best friend Winter they successfully print and distribute Memento.

Memento is loved by students and quickly makes it's way around the city. The students are coming up with ideas of expressing their voice and it fuels support for Memento. They want a newspaper and pull a prank in support of the comic. An underground group wants Micah, Winter, and Nora to stop Memento as it could get them arrested. The government wants to find out quickly who is behind it and to wipe all their memories.

Memento Nora is such an amazing book. For it only being 192 pages this little book packs a big punch. The cover is gorgeous and the ending might bring you to tears. I want to reread it because I wonder if there are hidden clues now that I read the whole story. Memento Nora is Angie Smibert's first novel and she is currently working on a sequel. Angie is also part of the Class of 2K11 and with the League of Extraordinary Writers. I can also see Memento Nora being turned into a graphic novel.

P.S. Angie I'm dying for the sequel!

Memento Nora will be released Friday April 1st so go out and get a copy!

Giveaway: for a chance to win a pre-order of Memento Nora come back tomorrow! Also I will have Angie Smibert on the blog Friday where we will be talking Memento Nora, 2k11, boys, and the sequel.

12 comments:

  1. Great review! I honestly had no idea what this book was about and now I'm definitely interested!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the review! I am so excited about this one!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm really looking forward to reading this book. Great review! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm reading this one this week, sounds amazing! =D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review here, as always. Glad the book is out this week -- I wanna read it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Memento sounds fabulous-adding it to my "to-read" list.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes! This book definitely had a graphic novel feel to it -- I couldn't put my finger on it, but you hit the nail on the head. I hope they do turn it into a graphic novel!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'll be honest, i don't care for the cover and I never read the synopsis. Now after reading your review, it sounds like something I would definitely enjoy! Thanks for the great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow, sounds like a fun read...where do i sign up for the give-away?

    ReplyDelete
  10. sorry giveaway starts tomorrow

    ReplyDelete