Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Review: Shimmer by Alyson Noel


Shimmer by Alyson Noel
Rating: 4 of 5 Star (Middle Grade)
3 of 5 (If you go in expecting an older age YA Novel)


Short Version:
So on the rating let me explain if you go in with the thought that you are going to read a middle grade book that gets right to the point and tells a great story you will love this book but if you go in expecting a long drawn out story with romance than you will feel disappointed but trust me this is a really good book!

If you have read the Evermore series you will enjoy this but it’s not required that you do. You will be lost if you haven’t read Radiance the first book in this series. You can find my review of Radiance here.

Long Version: (Don’t read if you haven’t read Radiance)
After Riley successfully completed her first mission she was granted time off to go back to the earth plane where she can relax and get to know her guide Bodhi but things never go smoothly for Riley. She comes across a vicious hell dog and while Bodhi warns her not to get involved or have anything to do with it, she does the exact opposite. Riley finds out that the dog belongs to Rebecca, an evil spirit, who traps spirits in their worst fear and feeds off their tortured energy. Only to make matters worse Bodhi and Buttercup get trapped and Riley has to save her guide, dog, and put a stop to Rebecca’s evil ways. When Rebecca finds out that Riley want’s to stop her, she blocks her out and Riley finds help from a spirit who is tied to Rebecca’s past. He sends Riley on a spirit quest to show her the type of person Rebecca used to be when she was alive and what she suffered while living on her father’s plantation. Alyson Noel does not tread lightly on the topic of slavery giving us flashbacks to how horrible slaves were tread and I found it to be a great element in the story. In Shimmer we learn more about Bodhi and what his biggest regret was when he was alive. Rebecca also shows Riley the tragic way that she died and why she is so angry, but she is one ghost that is not willing to cross over. Riley has always been one of my favorite characters and while I have so many questions about where the series will go I find Shimmer to be a great book.

Book trailer:


Find out more about Shimmer here, including audio excerpts and Riley's diary: http://www.alysonnoel.com/radiance/shimmer.php

8 comments:

  1. I love that you did a 2 part review! Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that you split it into a more middle grade and a more YA rating. I think we need more of that in reviews!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review!! Looking forward to reading this one. =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't read anything by Alyson Noel yet but I keep meaning to!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I intend to read this book as well as Radiance fairly soon. I have a copy of Radiance and this week when I get my paycheck I'm going to get Shimmer, teehee :)
    InAWorldOfBooks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, I read the short version as I haven't read the first book yet. :) But these books do sound like fun reads. :) Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great review! I enjoyed the book as well. I like the historical part of it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was wondering what was ment by the Oobleck its in the boo and she talks about it in the ackknowledgments any ideas not done with the book yet but when I am what do u think of the hunger games friend told me to read??

    ReplyDelete