Monday, March 7, 2011

Review: Skipping a Beat

Skipping a Beat by Sarah Pekkanen

Rating: 5 of 5 Stars


Skipping a Beat is the first non-ya novel I have read in a long time and a great way back into the fiction genre. Sarah Pekkanen captures your attention from the first few pages and takes you through Julia’s life as a glamorous wife of a multimillionaire to how she met her husband Michael when they were teens. Both started off with nothing but each other and the regret of how they grew up. Michael’s determination to make something of himself took off and the more successful he became the more distant he and Julia became. When does the comfort of having millions of dollars become an acceptable substitute for love and if given a second chance is it possible to repair what's been broken? Michael faces all this when he goes into cardiac arrest and his heart stops beating for four minutes and eight seconds.

Julia is dumbfounded when Michael asks for three weeks to try and repair their relationship, Michael is practically a stranger to Julia since he has always puts his business before anything or anyone else. Julia can’t see past her anger and hurt, which has built up over so many years, to respond to his request. Pekkanen shows us how the couple met, fell in love, and then slowly fell apart.

When I first began the story I wanted to shake Julia and wondered why she had stayed as long as she did. Then when Michael decides to get rid of everything they own to make it right, I thought ok now you really do want to leave him, but as the story develops you begin to waver. I kept asking myself what is going to happen on the next page, in the next chapter, at the end.

Pekkanen’s attention to detail is flawless from the music to the story of each character and her overall storytelling is charismatic. Skipping a beat will have you guessing through the entire story and leave you in awe. If you are a fan of fiction, chicklit, or just a story that slowly unfolds I highly recommend this to you. I have already picked up Sarah Pekkanen's previous novel and look forward to more books from her in the future.

For more on the author visit: http://www.sarahpekkanen.com

Thanks to the author and publisher for providing a review copy!

11 comments:

  1. Great review! I haven't read a chick lit novel in awhile, but this one might change that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. This sounds fantastic. I continue to hear amazing things about this book. Thanks for your review :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember you gushing about this book before :-) Lovely review! If I ever leave the world of YA, I will definitely pick up this book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I keep telling myself I need to read more non-YA books and I still haven't gotten around to it. This sounds like a great one to start out with - great review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the sound of this one! Thanks for the review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks for the review.surely will give it a read.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a good one, I'll have to add this one to my list. =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks like a really good read. Thanks for the recommendation! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is such a good book seriously it's one of those slow stories that takes you into different times in her life and she does it with such a smooth transition.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Magan: It's a great book.

    Juju: I think your readers would enjoy this one.

    Ginger & Tara: I abandoned chicklit for YA but I think I'll make more of an effort to branch out a bit.

    Amber, Leanna, Purplecream: Thanks and I hope you pick up a copy :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you so much for this amazing review! xoxo

    ReplyDelete