Monday, March 28, 2011

Review: Wither

Wither by Lauren DeStefano

Rating:5 of 5 Stars


Wither is one of those rare books that are incredibly captivating. How would you live if you knew that females died at age twenty and males at age twenty-five? That the last year of your life is excruciatingly painful and while many try to find a cure no one knows what caused it or how to stop it.

The wealthy believe that if they match the right parents it might be the solution. Men take multiple wives hoping to conceive a child that will live beyond the 20-25 years but no one has succeeded. The girls who are picked are either orphans or stolen from their homes and sold off. Girls who are barely teens and all are expected to produce a healthy heir. The wives have no say in any decision and are closely monitored.

Rhine was kidnapped along with a number of girls. The ones who were picked became wives and the rest were executed. Rhine is strong and reminds herself that she is a prisoner and will escape, but to do so she must gain her husband’s trust. At first I was repulsed by Linden, but as Rhine spends more time with her husband you start to question her feelings for him. She builds bonds with her sister wives and starts to see prison more like home. Rhine finds herself having happy moments and wondering if life with Linden would be all bad. Is it better to live and die in gorgeous prison or risk it all to be free?

Wither is an incredible story that had me in suspense until the very last page. I love Lauren DeStefano’s writing style because she makes you feel like you are Rhine. I won’t lie Wither is amazing but be prepared for a darker story. Wither is Lauren DeStefano’s debut now which is in stores now.

9 comments:

  1. This book was sooooo AWESOME! I completely agree with you about Linden...Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cannot wait to read it. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I sooo loved this book! Linden is the character we all want to hate but....I couldn't! And I totally agree that the writing makes you feel like you're Rhine. Great review!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved this book a ridiculous amount! Definitely one of my favorites from this year. I can't wait to see where the next book goes! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awsome review!!
    I have heard both good and bad things about this book, so I was kind of afraid to pick it up. But I think I will give it a try now!

    Holly
    http://fullmoonbites.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally agree with your review! It's such a crazy concept but Lauren DeStefano makes it so believable.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now I really want to read this one soon, great review!! :)

    ReplyDelete