Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Review: Divergent by Veronica Roth


Divergent by Veronica Roth

Rating: 5 of 5 Stars x 100

Release Date: 05/03/11


I will say that Divergent is the best dystopian novel since Hunger Games! You know I’m not one to compare books to Twilight or Hunger Games because let’s face it very few books match up, but Divergent deserves a spot next to Hunger Games! Another fascinating fact is Divergent is Veronica Roth’s debut novel!

Divergent is set in Chicago sometime in the future where everyone is divided into factions and at sixteen each person takes an aptitude test with a recommendation of what faction you should go into. Most stay in the faction they were born into but on rare occasions people will be transferred. If you decide to transfer you choose to leave your family behind and start a new life. The motto is faction before blood.

Beatrice shortly finds out that choosing a faction is only the beginning of a hard journey and while going through initiation she discovers how ruthless people can be to get to the top. She wonders who is really a friend and whether she can really trust anyone especially as she starts to excel. Something Beatrice never expected was to find a connection with a guy who challenges her, protects her, and yet sends her all sorts of mixed signals.

To tell you I loved this book is an understatement! I finished Divergent the same day I started it and am looking forward to re-reading it many times over. I'm excited to see that Goodreads list Divergent as one in a series of at least three books. Veronica Roth will be on the HarperTeen Dark Days tour and will be stopping in Texas so I’m looking forward to meeting her. Trust me when I say this is one book you don’t want to miss!

To learn more about Veronica Roth visit: http://veronicarothbooks.blogspot.com

18 comments:

  1. You got me really curious about this book. Looks like it's a must read. Thanks for your awesome review !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review, you know I love that" 5 of 5 Stars x 100" ;) Also I am very glad that you don't put any spoilers in your reviews so that readers can find out why it exactly is such a fantastic novel.
    I'll definitely do a re-read sometime soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you loved it, it's one of my all time favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I'm wanting this book and your review is just fueling that need. ;) Thanks for the great review and some insight on the book!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Im excited about getting it Tues to read! Great review Cari.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great Review!!! I need to read Divergent ASAP ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Girl, I loved this book too!!! I will be in Austin with you to meet her, can't wait.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ebru: It is so fantastic that there are not words to describe it! Make sure you pick it up.

    Miss Page-Turner I was going to say 5 of 5 x 1000 but people might camp out and mob the stores ;)

    Steph: It's so amazing! Why did I wait so long to read it!!!

    Mel: Go get this the day it comes out! Trust me!!!

    Thanks Yara! I'm sure you will love it!

    Girls in the Stacks: We can fan girl together!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Michelle read it like right now! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  10. This book looks so good! Everyone loves it and I have to get my hands on it soon, only a couple more days!! Thanks for the great review~

    ReplyDelete
  11. BAH! I need to read this, ol

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ive seen a couple of great reviews of this book now and I cant wait to read it. I just finished Enclave and it is soooo good:) I am soo hooked on dystopian.

    ReplyDelete
  13. One of my favorite books so far this, it's amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I meant *this year*.. I'm still sleepy. =/

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great review M! I just finished this book yesterday and LOVED it :-) It's hard to believe this is her debut novel!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lena: Shame! Hurry and read it!

    Cynthia: I know it will be hard to top.

    Ginger: This is what I love about debut novels you never know when you will fall in love with them.

    Book Addictions by Christina: I'm dying to read Enclave!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've heard so much awesome hype about this book! I'll have to find a weekend with LOTS of free time before I dive in! It sounds like once I start, I won't be able to stop! OR I can get it in audio and listen at work! Hmmm.... tempting!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lisa: it is AMAZING! You can get it on audio from audible

    ReplyDelete