Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Review: OyMG by Amy Fellner Dominy

OYMG by Amy Fellner Dominy

Rating: 5 of 5 Stars


I went into OyMG not sure what to expect and what I got was fun, cute and a fresh voice. OyMG is about a Jewish girl named Ellie who attends a summer program at Christian Society Speech and Performing Arts (CSSP). Ellie goes in determined to be the best and get a scholarship to stay in CSSP.

Ellie’s father is Lutheran but mother is Jewish and they are both supportive of Ellie’s choice to attend CSSP. Ellie’s grandfather who is very sweet but speaks his mind about making sure that Ellie doesn’t lose her way at CSSP. Zeydeh (grandfather in Yiddish) lives a few houses down and is usually the one who cooks dinner every night. He jokes that if the Christian school tries to sprinkle water on her to run. Zeydeh is currently obsessed with winning a cooking contest with his matzo ball soup and while Ellie doesn’t understand why she fully supports him.

While Ellie finds some of the Christian traditions strange she hopes to fit in when it comes to the speech tournament. Ellie can normally argue anything but she manages to freeze when she is paired up with Devon. Devon is not only hot but connected to the donor who gives out the scholarships. Ellie hasn’t had the best luck with guys so she isn’t sure if she’s more annoyed with the fact that Devon wins the first few debates or smitten with his sparkling blue eyes. To make life even more complicated Ellie finds out that the donor dislikes Jewish people and makes a quick decision to hide who she really is. Ellie finds herself in a web of lies and finally her grandfather decides to out her. Ellie must decide if giving up so much of herself is worth winning the scholarship.

OyMG is Amy Fellner Dominy’s debut novel which is out May 11, 2011. Dominy breaks the YA stereotypes with great families who are involved in their children’s lives and will leave you smiling. I see movie potential written all over OyMG so pre-order your copy because this is one you won’t want to miss.

You can find Amy Fellner Dominy online at: http://amydominy.com/

12 comments:

  1. Sounds cute...adding to my list. You are the Queen of the debut authors! xo

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the sound of this, cute and fun, fun, fun, fun. OMG make it stop! LOL :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like a fun book. I'll have to add it to my list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can't wait to read this. Amy is a gem.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, I read it. I know you're jealous! Er, not you, Cari, all you others. It's a really poignant, smart book. I love it.

    Not to mention, I'll never say OMG again. It seems naked without the Y. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds like a wonderful read. It kinda reminds me of all the family meddling that happens in My Big Fat Greek Wedding!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't wait to read this one! It sounds fun and poignant at the same time. Lucky you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This definitely sounds like fun, it features so many different religions:D

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was so surprised by how much I loved this one I definitely did not expect to like it as much, it was a great book. =)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks so cute! Is it appropriate for a 10 year old? It sounds like a book my daughter would love (I'm Christian and my husband is Jewish).

    ReplyDelete
  11. Karis: It's a great story and my automatic answer is I think it's appropriate for a 10 year old but you might want to read it before just so you can discuss it with her. There is nothing sexual or inappropriate that happens in the book. Also it's a really quick read I think you would also enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete