Thursday, May 19, 2011

Mini Review: Die For Me by Amy Plum


Die For Me by Amy Plum

Rating: 3 of 5 Stars

Amy Plum’s debut novel is about guardian angel type zombies. The technical term is Reverants but it isn’t really clear what that means. Reverants started out as humans and died while saving people’s lives and three days later they wake up. They still have the need to keep saving people but if they die they just wake back up. Also they never sleep and after a few weeks of being awake they go into a dead like rest. They feel cold to the touch and their spirit leaves to roam and can talk to other Reverants. There is also a group of Reverants that instead of saving lives push humans to kill. So when good and evil meet they have battles each other.

The story felt a bit predictable and you can easily see what is coming next. I also never felt caught up in the romance between Kate and Vincent. Also for some reason I could never picture what Kate looks like. I did love that the story was set in Paris. I hate to say it but the story feels a bit like Twilight only with zombies instead of vampires, I won’t go into detail but if you enjoy stories that are similar to Twilight you might enjoy this book.

While this isn’t one of my favorite books I didn’t dislike it either. I thought it was ok and since this is a series I plan to read the next book and see how the story develops and unfolds. I thought the cover was gorgeous and it will, at the very least, make you to pick up the book and read a few pages while at your local bookstore.

For a sample chapter visit: http://www.harperteen.com

13 comments:

  1. I agree that the cover is gorgeous! I really hate when a book is too predictable though. I don't mind if it is a little, but figuring out everything kind of drives me crazy. I will definitely still give it a shot though. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is SO Twilightly--you're right!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your review. This cover caught my attention but wasn't sure if this was my kind of read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds like it had an original concept, never heard of zombie angels but I don't like predictability either. Thanks for the honest review though, I think I might give it a try. =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also think the cover is pretty, and I still can't go pass the whole zombie guardian angel thing... haha

    ReplyDelete
  6. I definitely agree with your review. While the Revenant mythology was original and interesting, the characters and romance fell flat. It DEFINITELY reminded me of Twilight. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The cover is gorgeous...and I am curious to see how "zombie angels meet Twilight" works out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes!! So glad someone agrees, for a moment there I felt like I was the only one who wasn't too fond of it :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm jealous! I can't wait to read this! Love the honest review. I hate when you can't connect with the characters though, or picture what they look like. Still want to read it though, ZOMBIES!!!!! LOL nuff said.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So sad that it's predictable. I love suprises in a book! I still want to try this one, and I do love Twilight. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm with you, I think the cover is beautiful and was interested in reading it by just looking at it. Which, it sounds like, you can't always read a book by it's cover. I think I may still give it a try.

    ReplyDelete