Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Review: My Not So Still Life by Liz Gallagher

My Not So Still Life by Liz Gallagher

Rating: 2 of 5 Stars

Pages: 192 (ARC)


My Not So Still Life is a really short novel by Liz Gallagher. It’s also the companion novel to The Opposite of Invisible which I have not read. I figured that since My Not So Still Life is a companion novel I should be able to just jump directly into the story without trying to figure out everyone’s backstory, but that didn’t happen.

My Not So Still Life is about Vanessa who is suppose to be all about art but I didn’t feel that art was the main focus of the novel. Vanessa like most teens is in a hurry to get over a broken heart and what better way to do it than to change your hair and makeup over and over which really screams look at me. Also another way to deal/avoid her problems is to fast forward and become an adult. Vanessa is convinced that life doesn’t start until after high school. I was that teen so I can relate and I can see how that seems like the answer but forcing yourself into adulthood has real consequences which the novel only glosses over. Also Vanessa is described as being art savvy, but I don’t think that came across in the novel. She spray painted a basketball court and a few walls and made a city out of cardboard boxes, does this an artist make? I was hoping for passion and great art pieces that would be described in vivid detail, but I didn’t get any of that just a girl who paints graffiti.

Vanessa goes head first into potentially dangerous situations that without help from real adults she would never get out of. I think if the consequences had been explored deeper this would have been a great story line. The background characters also fall short. We barely hear any background story about them and they never seemed to come to life to me. I will look for the first novel and see if maybe it fills in all the gaps but I’m not convinced that this book can stand alone.

7 comments:

  1. I'm really sorry you didn't like this one so much! I'd been looking forward to it but the lack of good reviews has dicouraged me somewhat. I think i'll still read it because ya never know i might be the crazy who loved it :) Thanks for the review!

    http://blackfingernailedreviews.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe there is a book for everyone so you might enjoy it. I hear many didn't like Halo but one blogger I follow and love really loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great points on why you didn't enjoy this book. It's frustrating when main characters act in a way that is harmful to them, but the consequences of that action is never shown.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review, as always. I'd never heard of this book. It was obviously not your favorite, but I get a good feeling of why so I can decide if I might like it. Thx! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Never heard of this one before but thanks for the honest review! =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Though negative, this was a great review--very honest. For me, good books (as well as good movies) MUST have well-developed supporting characters. However important the MCs are, the people they interact with are a part of what shapes their environment and thus a part of what shapes themselves.

    ~TRA

    http://xtheredangelx.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't think I will be reading this one very soon. It just sounds okay, but nothing spectacular. :)

    When I first heard of this book, I thought it was the same as the show on MTV, my so called live..or something like that. But it isn't..anyway. ;) lol

    ReplyDelete