Wednesday, May 18, 2011

THE SCORPIO RACES Cover Talk

Have you seen the covers of THE SCORPIO RACES by Maggie Stiefvater? A few days ago she revealed the US cover on her blog and asked what people thought.

US Cover

On the US Cover I have to say I wasn’t blown away. Now you can slap a paper bag on her novels and I will read them because I’m a diehard fan and what matters is the story and so far I have loved everything Maggie has written.  I do wonder if YA readers who haven’t read Maggie’s books would love the cover enough to pick it up and find out what Maggie’s world is all about. As a blogger and an adult, when I see “New York’s Best Selling Author” written on the cover I ooohhh and ahhh, but I don’t think most teens will pay too much attention to that. Teens, please feel free to tell me if I’m wrong. Book covers are like art (some people frame them and hang them on their walls!) so imagine for a minute that you had never heard of Maggie Stiefvater (I know this sounds crazy) and then think of some of the amazing YA covers out there now would you drawn to THE SCORPIO RACES? Who knows maybe cover trends will change by the time THE SCORPIO RACES is out or it might look better in person, but for now I’ll say it could have been better.

UK Cover

On the UK cover: I feel like this is the exact opposite of the US cover where the US cover is understated this one is bold and in your face. I’m not crazy about this one either but the UK has its own cover trends. I wish that both covers had met somewhere in the middle.

The covers from Scholastic are not always my favorites. I think they did a great job with the Shiver books but if you look at Hunger Games the cover never drew me in. It wasn’t until the buzz around the web that I finally picked it up. I think Catching Fire and Mockingjay were better covers but I wonder if it was because as the series became more popular the covers got better. What are your thoughts?

For more on Maggie Stiefvater visit: http://www.maggiestiefvater.com/

6 comments:

  1. Just looking at the book immediately makes me want to read it. I will read anything with a horse on the cover, and I love the simplicity of the US cover.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm, I actually like the US cover. I'm not sure why, because like you said it's not very eye-grabbing -- but I think it's dark and mysterious and, coupled with the title, it makes me curious. But that also might be my Maggie-love clouding my judgment LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love them both but I think I prefer the UK cover.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooooh interesting topic. I keep reading descriptions of this book, but I still don't feel like I have a handle on what it's about. And neither of these covers conveys any additional emotions to me to help me figure that out -- but maybe that's that point! Maybe it's a surprise?! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Casey I get it because I would read anything Maggie wrote.

    Anna: As you may know Maggie has always referred to this book as her secret novel and I'm sure it will be great I just can't help but not be wowed by the cover. I might be wrong once I hold the actual book.

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I first saw the US version of the The Scorpio Races, I can say that I was totally OK with it. I wasn't all OMG LOOK HOW BEAUTIFUL, but honestly I felt like the art director was aging up its audience. It doesn't feel like a YA, and that's what gives it the upper hand IMO.

    As far as the UK version, I can say that I like this type choice a lot less. I'm really hoping the title type treatment on the US version will have embossing.

    ReplyDelete