Saturday, June 18, 2011

A Need So Beautiful Tour Stop

A Need So Beautiful by Suzanne Young

Rating: 4 of 5

How stunning is this cover? I was worried that A Need So Beautiful would turn out to be an angel story but that isn't really the case. Charlotte was adopted when she simply walked into a hospital with no memory of where she came from. As she was growing up she would have this feeling that she had messages to give to people and she didn't know where the message she was suppose to give them came from she just knew that she had to deliver it. At first the need happened sporadically but as she got older it seemed to happen every week or even every day. Charlotte learned at a young age that people wouldn't believe her and even that they would think something was wrong with her.

What also was odd is that as soon as she gave people their message they seemed to always believe her but always acted as if they had never spoken to her. Charlotte was fine with it because how do you explain why you have this life altering message to give to someone? As Charlotte gets older she realizes having friends, school, a boyfriend and a secret don't go well together. To make matters worse Charlotte realizes that fulfilling her need to help people could not only isolate her but kill her. Charlotte tries to not give into the need to help people but that only hurts her. In the end there is only one person who is willing to offer her a solution, but it would require Charlotte to become the opposite of what she is. When Charlotte realizes what her purpose in the world is, it becomes earth shattering for her. I loved the romance between Charlotte and Harlin. Instead of giving up on her when he realizes she is hiding something he stands by her and continues to try and get her to open up.

The entire novel reminds me of a beautiful hourglass. With every page I turned it was like the sand falling to the bottom of the hourglass and I felt like time was running out for Charlotte. I kind of expected the ending but at the same time I was surprisingly emotional. While the book did leave an opening for a second book I think the story didn't end on an "OMG I'm going to flip out cliffhanger". I would recommend this book to everyone and I look forward to more from Suzanne Young.



I want to thank Novel Novice and Suzanne Young for allowing me to participate on the Official Blog Tour for A Need So Beautiful. I also did a quick Q and A with Suzanne Young who is really sweet and funny. If you don't follow her on twitter you should!



What is your typical day like?

Write, rinse, repeat. No, I take my kids to school and then spend the rest of the day drafting, revising or plotting. I sometimes go on errands, but I dread them. Luckily I have a great group of friends who convince me to go out where we have dinners and attend book signings—otherwise I’m not sure I’d ever leave my stories.

While writing A Beautiful Need what was the most stressful part and how did you cope?

Regular life. I was in a tough financial spot at the time, looking for work and taking care of my kids. Sometimes it was hard to find the time (or mental energy) to write the book. But I’m glad that I did. I just really wanted to tell the story, so that was what got me through it.

Who are YA authors you read and or look up to?
I love Carrie Ryan. The Forest of Hands and Teeth is one of my favorite books ever. I also really enjoy reading Kelley Armstrong and Melissa Marr.

Have you thought about future projects?

I finished the draft of the sequel to A Need so Beautiful, titled A Want so Wicked (Summer 2012). And I just sold a new series THE PROGRAM to Simon Pulse for Spring of 2013.


For more info visit:
Suzanne's blog: http://www.suzanne-young.blogspot.com/

Suzanne's Twitter: http://twitter.com/suzanne_young


Suzanne's Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Suzanne-Young-Author/186332294734164

Book Club Guide: harpercollins.com


Blog Tour Landing Page: http://novelnovice.com/books/featured-books/the-official-blog-tour-for-a-need-so-beautiful-by-suzanne-young/


A Need So Beautiful @ HarperTeen: http://www.harperteen.com/books/Need-Beautiful-Suzanne-Young/?isbn=9780062008244

16 comments:

  1. I can always count on you to find yet another book that I want to read :)

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really enjoyed your review. This book is on my list, but now I think it is moving up fast. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really want to read this book, it looks soo good! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for the wonderful review! I love the comparison to the hourglass and that the ending was so good that even though you were expecting it, it still stung. I can't wait to read this novel!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review and interview :) This book sounds amazing, I definitely need to check it out :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really want to read this. It's not what I usually go for, but I want to try it anyway! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow -- this sounds like a really unusual book! I'm intrigued by the premise. I love your description of the turning pages as being like an hourglass -- that really gives me a feel for the urgency!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a great book. I love the cover too. Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This really does sound great. Your hourglass analogy has my interest peaked.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the cover and I liked the hourglass analogy you used to intrigue those reading your review :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Last week, I just listed this book as a top novel I was waiting for! Thanks for this great review, giveaway and author interview! :D

    I'm a new follower and am looking forward to reading more of your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Seriously freaking awesome interview and an even awesomeer (not a word but just pretend you know what I am saying) review! Seriously this book sounds fantastic although I am quite confident you could make the encyclopedia sound like a thrilling read!
    -Katelyn

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hmm... now I want to read this. I'm intrigued enough to NEED to know how it ends! (Plus I love the light on the cover.)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I heard this was really good. I just hope it doesn't turn into a series because I have way too many I'm into right now.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I only heard good things about A Need So Beautiful and the ending sounds really appealing, I am always for emotional:)

    ReplyDelete