Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Review: Enclave

Enclave by Ann Aguirre

Rating: 4 of 5 Stars


Enclave by Ann Aguirre is a dystopian novel where the world has practically been wiped out by biological warfare and probably a combination of other sorts of weapons, but since our way of life has ended there isn't clear documentation about what happened. Those that have survived have taken to living underground avoiding those that were infected and are now mutants that will feed on anything it can gets it's hands on. People underground live in groups called Enclaves and they live until about twenty or so and the young don't get a name until they are ready to be assigned a job of either Breeder, Builder, or Hunter. Duece had one goal growing up and that was to be assigned as a huntress, so when it happens she feels that her life is complete. Hunters aren't raised to be affectionate or emotional so when she has to comfort her friends or people around her she really doesn't know how to act. I also think she takes the easy way out and simply says well I'm a hunter so I wasn't trained to deal with that. Duece is paired with Fade who is the only person who wasn't born in the Enclave. He was found by a team of hunters and they realized that he had tremendous fighting skills, but instead of becoming one of them he chose to be an outcast. He eats alone, and refuses to build friendships or bonds. Fade gives Deuce a hard time and she feels that maybe it's because he thinks she isn't good enough and she goes in trying to prove that she is worthy.

Deuce starts to realize that the Enclave has knowledge that the mutants or freaks as they call them are more dangerous than the first believed. They also keep things from the group for what they believe is best and every year they kick someone out to keep the fear in everyone. Deuce's friend is about to be thrown out of the Enclave when she steps up to take his place and Fade follows. Living outside the Enclave in the tunnels is a death sentence but risking going topside is something Deuce would never do. Fade explains to her that he was born above ground and that might be their only solution for survival outside the Enclave. Going against everything she knows she trusts Fade, but the journey to finding something better is a long and deadly one.

At points I wanted Deuce to accept that she is more than a killing machine and communicate better with others and let those around her know her feelings, insecurities, and fears and yet she never does. Enclave is very action packed and worth reading. I only wish that the story would have been longer but I'm looking forward to the sequel Outpost due out Fall 2012.

8 comments:

  1. Sounds great. Love action-packed. Thanks ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review my dear! Dystopian is something I am just now getting into, I only read my first dystopian novel 3 days ago but this book sounds great. I will have to check this out as well (are you conspiring for me to buy Every. Single. Book. out there? lol!)
    -Katelyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm half way though Enclave right now. I'm really enjoying it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree -- I would have liked to see Deuce grow more as a character, but I really enjoyed the action and rawness of the book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh oooh oooh I totally want to read this. It sounds like it's full of action. I LOVE action. I'm glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds like an amazing book, and the cover is awesome :-)
    I just stumbled on your blog through goodreads, keep up the good work, your doing a great job!

    Leanne
    http://magicofreading.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't wait to read this! It sounds great and I love dystopian novels. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Enclave is on my wishlist. Thanks for your review. I am curious about that killing machine, hoping her character isn't too extreme!

    ReplyDelete