Friday, June 3, 2011

Review: Stupid Fast by Geoff Herbach


Stupid Fast by Geoff Herbach

Rating: 3.5 of 5 Stars

When I first saw the cover of the book and found out it was from a male point of view I was sold! Only I didn't really have any idea about what I was getting into. See the first half of this book was hard for me because you are literally Felton, the main character so any thought that pops in his head you get to live. I found the internal chatter distracting and hard to keep up with what was going on. I also think because I have never read a book told from this point of view I wasn't use to it. If I had been the type of person who reads 50 pages and quits then I would have given up on this book but I would have missed out. See once you get deep into the story it feels like you are slowly pulling back layers about a beautiful story. Don't get me wrong some might love it right off, but in case you find yourself reading this and are ready to give up I'm telling you not to. Felton has a lot of crazy talk in his head but he doesn't know any better. He grew up with one friend and feels like a freak at school. The jocks pick on him and his home life isn't any better. Felton's dad committed suicide when he was a kid and he was the one to find him. His mom is a hippie mom who let's him be. Felton does find out that he is good at running he feels that the only time his life makes sense is when he is moving. This along with his size could make him great for sports but he isn't sure he wants to be a jock since they were the ones who made his life miserable. In one summer Felton grows out of being awkward to being kind of popular, but while his school life might get better his home life is slowly getting worse. Jerri, his mom, starts to fall into a depression which at first is just not getting out of bed, then she becomes angry and mean towards her boys. Felton just avoids it all by running and spending time with his new girlfriend, but his younger brother Andrew doesn't know how to cope with Jerri. Andrew lashes out and wants his mom back or at least wants her to notice that he's hurting. Felton's journey to becoming a jock, fitting in at school, and figuring out how to save his mom is an emotional and touching story.

Due to the rough start I never expected to love the second half of this book so much, but I did and I found it hard to put down. Now if you have an issue with bad words or name calling I would say "caution ahead". Stupid Fast is Geoff's debut novel and I can say this is the most pleasant surprise so far this year! Stupid Fast is in stores now so grab a copy!

For more on Geoff visit: http://geoffherbach.com/

7 comments:

  1. This review is exactly why I always try and finish a book even if I am not liking the beginning. I am always worried that something amazing will come at the end and I will miss out. Glad to see that you ended up enjoying it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet, Cari. I'm so glad you didn't give up on it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love crazy talk. Can't wait to get my hands on a copy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a great read! I love male povs! =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Geoff: thanks so much for letting me review your book. When I finished the book I found myself just hugging it for a minute.

    Cynthia: Defiantly a good male POV book! You know how we always ask guys what are you thinking? Well this book gives you an insight into a guys mind.

    Amy: LOL then I think you will love Felton. He's odd but you come to love him.

    Two Readers Reviews: I think as bloggers and readers we get to caught up in wanting to love a book in the first chapter and sometimes are quick to give up on a book well this is one that proves if you didn't get the first part you can eventually love the book.

    Bottom line I really hope people give this book a chance

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the review! I'm planning on reading it this summer & hoping to recommend it to my students next school year

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have been totally guilty of having a hard time with the first half of a book and then just setting it aside for a later time. But when I start reading this one (if I find the beginning awkward) I will remember to push through it. It sounds like a pretty good read!

    ReplyDelete