Monday, August 22, 2011

All kinds of book fun!

It has been a book-filled month! I know what you are thinking well this is a book blog so shouldn’t all months be book months. Why yes but I wanted to share some details with you. As some of you might know I work for Blue Willow Bookshop in Houston and I have been spending more time there than I normally do. Earlier this month they sent me to Chicago for a class pertaining to the website and while I was there I went to visit Cloud Gate “the bean” at Millennium Park which of course made me think of Divergent.



Blue Willow Bookshop also hosted an event for Richard Paul Evans who wrote Michael Vey: The Prisoner of Cell 25 which has a huge following by middle grade boys. While I was there for the event, I picked up Michael Vey, OyMG by Amy Dominy which I have read a while ago and loved, and Torn by Erica O'Rourke who I have chatted with on twitter and not only is the cover gorgeous but the synopsis sounds amazing! I’m really looking forward to the following events for the end of this month at Blue Willow Bookshop: Tom Angleberger, Jennifer Close and Courtney Sullivan.





Friday I did something I thought I would never do. Yes I purchased an e-reader (sigh) I’m such a diehard fan for the real book but some publishers are going e-galley or electronic advance readers copy so if I want to review books before they are published I have to read them as an e-book. When ever I read books on my computer it really hurts my eyes and I get easily distracted so I just wait until the book comes out. Well Friday I went to Borders and there it was the Kobo for 59 dollars. I knew that someday I would give in and get an ereader but I couldn’t justify spending money on one until I saw it at practically 50 dollars and if I really wanted to buy an ebook which I don’t see happening I could get it from Blue Willow Bookshop.



Saturday I met up with book bloggers Christen and Sarah for lunch at La Madeleine and then we went to local indie bookshop Murder by the Book for the Rosemary Clement-Moore event. Rosemary is promoting Texas Gothic and has written The Splendor Falls and the Maggie Quinn: Girl vs Evil Series.





More pictures here: Rosemary Clement-Moore Photos

After the event Christen mentioned cupcakes so we hoped over to my favorite cupcake place in Houston Celebrity Cupcakes for yummy treats. I had the coconut cupcake and a mini chocolate. Then I don’t know who mentioned Borders so we headed there. I had already shopped but since they were in the area it felt like the thing to do. I mean, those poor YA books that would soon be homeless if no one bought them and took them to a book loving home! I just couldn't bare the thought of that happening. Here are pictures of cupcakes, more cupcakes and Sarah and Christen with their books! I only picked up 3 clearance books for future giveaways.







23 comments:

  1. Looks like a fabulous trip...and always fun to run into fellow bloggers :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG what fun! I love it! And I've had an eReader for 2 years. What brought me over was the same thing as you. Now I'm addicted. In a good way. I love my Kindle. And yes I still read real books :) enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a good time and great post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. let me know how you like the kobo..my niece is in the market for an ereader. I love my nook!is that cloud gate thingy from that movie The Source Code?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Holy books, Sarah! Looks like so much fun, wish I was closer. Boooo!

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lots of fun. I prefer the book & I love to look at books on bookshelves BUT it is so easy to read on an ereader BUT I miss my sticky notes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. black bear cabin: I'm lucky to have met so many great bloggers around Houston and Texas.

    Yara: Thanks! I was thought I might run into you at Murder by the Book but figured you might have been back to school shopping.

    Thanks Juju and Amy! I seriously look at the Kobo and think can't believe I let you into my house. I'm so old school I love real books but with Net Galley and S&S Galley Grab I felt it was time.

    Twimom: I'll let you know but I have no other ereader experience to say it's good or bad or somewhere in between.

    Jen: LOL can you believe Sarah and Christen blame me for their purchases?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do blame you! You are an enabler! But hey, one can never have too many books, right?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm pretty sure I had help picking out books, though it's for a good cause.

    Jen - I was trying to find books for my classroom written by a few authors that are stopping by next month!

    Had a great time!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yay!!! I LOVE my Nook... but I love hard copies too. I have a thing for the way books SMELL. (I know... don't judge!)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds so fun! You make me miss Houston already. And now I want cupcakes and books.

    ReplyDelete
  12. o0o0o yummy cupcakes! Ive been debating on getting an ereader too, but I just love collecting books! ahh! It might be time for me to step into the new millenium of things..*sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds like you had a blast! I would love to work at a bookstore, that sounds so cool! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Loved your post and all the pictures. (And your shout out to OyMG!) So excited to know I'll be there in a couple of weeks -- and now I need to stop by that cupcake place. Maybe after we lunch? :-)

    As my bookshelves become overcrowded danger zones, I think about an e-reader, but just can't do it. But I know for bloggers, it's the way of the future since everything is online. (And I'm like you--I can't read on the computer!) Keep us posted on how you like it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It was great meeting you in Houston. Next time I'm there, though, I want in on the cupcakes. Those look a.maze.ing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I just read a book i thought you might enjoy, its called Ripple by Hubbard. I loved it! such a quick one day read.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oo sounds like you've had a lot of fun! And an ereader for $49?! Sweet! Where did you get a The Pledge ebook??? O_O

    ReplyDelete
  18. I prefer books as well, but I have to admit that e-reader do have some advantages. The cupcakes look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Fun! Love the pictures with your new camera! )

    ReplyDelete
  20. Fun, I am so sad I missed the RCM signing. I LOVED her book. Those kobo are pretty tempting at $50 I almost bought one the other day for a giveaway.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Looks like you had an awesome time, Cari! I've never been to any author events, sadly.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Don't worry about getting the e-reader, you can (and will) still get real books! Plus, now if you need a new book at some random hour, you don't have to wait for a store to open.

    ReplyDelete
  23. You can't go wrong w/ cupcakes and books!!

    ReplyDelete