Thursday, August 11, 2011

Review: Vanish by Sophie Jordan


Vanish by Sophie Jordan

Rating: 5 of 5 Stars

Release Date: September 6th, 2011


As many of you know I took a 41 hour trip to Chicago um yes that is right, 41 hours, I wish I could've stayed longer. I had a class to attend for Blue Willow and I had a dilemma, what book should I pack? I mean I was only going for a day so it had to be something that held my attention and with Sophie’s book signing come up I knew that Vanish was the book to take.

Vanish is the sequel to Firelight by Sophie Jordan. I am always afraid of the second book in a series not living up to the first. The first book makes you fall in love, the second book typically takes it away and the third book usually makes everything right again. If you read YA series this is what we have come to expect. We usually have a main character who finds a guy in book one and they fall in love and then in book two something happens and they separate but I always hold out hope that the main character is determined enough and will find her way back to that love. I’m hoping I haven’t lost you and that you are nodding your head yes. Sounds right doesn’t it? Well for the first time in my history of YA book reading (that come to mind) I found myself completely and udderly shocked. I was having feelings not for the guy that Jacinda, the main character, falls for, but instead for the guy she was sure she didn’t want. (This has happened only one other time that I can think of) So the further I read on I kept thinking, Jacinda you judge to hastily maybe you belong with Cassian. A little voice then would say "No Will saved her in the first book, she gave her heart to him. It’s WILL!" It has to be Will, but as I turned page after page I kept seeing Cassian in a new light and I started to see that he wasn’t the problem it was that Jacinda had all these preconceived notions in her head about what she thought Cassian wanted and how he saw her but she had it all wrong! See Jacinda wanted to think Cassian didn’t want her because her sister was so in love with him and she was so dead set against doing what the pride wanted that she never really opened her mind to a possibility with him.

I know it sounds like I’m Team Cassian right? Well I bottom line is I don’t know! In Firelight I LOVED WILL!!! I was "Will 'til the end!" but then Sophie made me see Cassian in a whole new light and now I feel like in order for Jacinda to be with one the other has to sacrifice himself or accidentally fall off a cliff or Will has to say you know it’s too much and walk away. I just don’t know and you know who is to blame for all my confusion???? Sophie Jordan!!!!

You will still see a lot of the hunters, pride, and Jacinda’s family and how they all deal with everything Jacinda does. Also if anyone liked Zander then you will love Cassian’s cousin Corbin. Just saying! Vanish covers a lot, but as you can see, my main focus is on the love interests, but there is so much more and so many sub plots with questions that will need to be answered in the third and final book. I promise you I will hound Sophie every time I see her, which is often since we both live in the same city and go to the same book events. She seriously left me in shock and needing answers right away! If you read Firelight you won’t want to miss this and if you haven’t then come back tomorrow because I’m giving away a signed copy of Firelight and an ARC of Vanish!

Also if you want to preorder a personalized copy of Vanished call Blue Willow Bookshop by September 7th!

For more on Sophie Jordan:
http://www.sophiejordan.net/
http://twitter.com/#!/soverysophie

8 comments:

  1. *gasp* I MUST read Firelight immediately! I have it sitting on my desk... STARING at me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband, MIL, and I have been looking forward to this one!

    And I didn't know you were in Chicago! We could have had coffee and books!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to start this series pronto!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a review!! I can't wait to read it. Planning on being there on the 7th!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I still haven't read the fist book, but I keep hearing mixed reviews about it. But we have the same taste in books, so hopefully I will love it too. This sounds perfect. Need to read it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Firelight is awesome! I am so excited to read Vanish.
    heltondexter@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jeez Louise my dear! This review is totally awesome! I still need to read the first book (I am a total slacker like that) but this makes me incredibly excited for the second one. I love it when the 2nd book in the series is done well!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Cari! I just got my own copy of Vanish in the mail and i can't wait to read it! Thanks for letting me know it was out there!

    ReplyDelete