Thursday, September 29, 2011

Review: The Mephisto Covenant

The Mephisto Covenant by Trinity Faegan

Rating: 4 of 5 Stars


Class of 2K11 member Trinity Faegan, really did a great job on The Mephisto Covenant! I have heard a lot of negativity about this book but I for one loved it. Sasha’s father was killed and she can’t get over the fact that his killer has not been found. She is willing to do anything to find his killer even go to a meeting with a secret group at school. The group simply wants her to pledge her soul to someone named Eryx who gives his followers anything they want. In reality Eryx steals people’s souls when they pledge and is trying to take over hell. I was a little lost in the beginning because you are thrown right into a scene and you are wondering “who is that?” and “what did he call her?” but as the story progresses it’s all explained.

When Sasha goes to the group they turn on her and try and kill her but she's saved by Jax (insert swoon). Jax is part demon and hopes to find an Anabo. Anabos are the only girls capable of loving a demon but finding one is completely rare. Sasha happens to be an Anabo but doesn’t want any part of demons, secret groups or Eryx. Trinity really pushes the envelope by including religion in The Mephisto Covenant which at first I was skeptical about, but the book is fiction and it unfolded nicely.

The connection between Sasha and Jax is unbelievably hot! I will say I wasn’t crazy about Jax’s duster but something that could accidently get lost. Being that Jax is part demon he doesn’t have experience with dating so he has no idea what to do to get Sasha to fall in love with him. The twist is that as a demon he isn’t capable of love and she finds herself wondering if he really cares about her or if it's just the fact that he wants her to love him. If I were Sasha, I would have had my way with him now and asked questions later….Kidding-sort of!

There is a very detailed sex scene but it wasn’t vulgar. Again it's something new that I have not seen in YA but let’s face it teens have sex. Teens see sex on TV and you don’t watch 16 and Pregnant by not knowing about sex. I have seen people categorize this as instant love which I don’t think is accurate but I will say that part of being a teen is thinking you are in love with crushes, boyfriends, and Robert Pattinson until you learn what love really means. I also want to say that I love how Egmont USA puts out a great variety of stories. For me The Mephisto Covenant was great and I look forward to reading more books from Trinity Faegan!

7 comments:

  1. I just ordered this one, can't wait until it arrives! The summary really caught my attention. Your right there has been mixed reviews about it - I guess the only way to find out is to give it a try! Great Review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mine is still on tour - I am a complete moron for sending it out before reading! Glad you liked it! Trin is my homegirl....you too.

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved this book--and I love Trinity. Thought the mythology was very cool as well as the boy from hell. (And still laughing about your line, Cari, that Sasha should have had her way with Jax now and asked questions later.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes to having my way with Jax, haha! And it's true that teens live in a sex saturated world and the encounters in this book are written tastefully. Great review! I also loved this book :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. After reading your review it's safe to say I'll be grabbing a copy very soon. Sounds awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, I've read a couple negative reviews about this one, and the blurb really doesn't hook me, to be honest. I think it's because a bunch of other reviews made it sound like Trinity relies a bit too much on theology and too little on original world building.


    Smiles!
    Lori

    ReplyDelete