Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Audio Review: All These Things I've Done by Gabrielle Zevin

All These Things I've Done by Gabrielle Zevin

Rating: 4 of 5 Stars


I found an audio book that I enjoy! The narrator is the same person who narrated the Twilight Saga. I started listening to the book on my hour commute to work and then finished on a road trip to and from Austin. For All These Things I’ve Done is a dystopian novel told from the point of view of Anya Balanchine. Anya is responsible for her older brother, sister, and grandmother after her parents were murdered. The Balanchines are part of a mafia family who produce chocolate and in the future caffeine is illegal. Leo, her brother was in an accident that left him mentally challenged and she has to find a balance in how to take care of him but also not upset him. Anya also knows that she and her siblings must stay out of trouble because neither her brother nor her grandmothers are suitable guardians.

While juggling taking care of her family and finishing school the unexpected happens. Anya finds a guy who she is crazy about and who doesn’t know about her family. While she might be smitten with Win he happens to be the son of the DA. His father is not happy with the fact that his son is dating a mafia princess. He even goes as far as to ask Anya to stay away from his son or he could make her life difficult.

Zevin did a great job of describing New York in a futuristic setting and I feel as if I could see myself walking around in the settings in the book. I wasn’t crazy about the fact that Anya quotes her father over and over, but I think it’s her way of keeping his memory alive. I can’t imagine being a teen and having so much responsibility and I think Anya deals with it by cutting off her emotions. As for me I would probably be guarded if I didn’t become a coffee addict. There is so much suspense, deception and twists to the novel that kept me hooked.




For more on Gabrielle Zevin visit: http://www.memoirsofa.com/

2 comments:

  1. I wasn't sure about this book, but wow, now I must read this one. I'm not an audio kind of girl, but maybe I will ntry this one. :) Great review.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...