Thursday, October 20, 2011

Book Events: Erin Morgenstern


Have I mentioned how lucky I am to live in Houston? It's huge book events like those hosted by Blue Willow Bookshop and Murder by the Book that make living here AMAZING. This week there were 7 big events on my radar. What kind of events are on my radar? Kid lit, middle grade, young adult and fiction. I want to share some of the photos and notes from the book event I attended for debut author Erin Morgenstern. She wrote this little book called Night Circus which has already been optioned by Summit, who is working on getting the producer of the Harry Potter movies to sign on to the project. The foreign rights have been sold to over 30 countries and Erin pulls in a huge crowd. I haven't read the book yet because I wanted to pick it up at the signing but everywhere I go I hear wonderful things about it and I plan to read it in the next few weeks.


Erin started the project through National Novel Writing Month and when asked how much of the book changed from when she originally wrote it for NNWM she said that it's "about 400 pages well imagine 350 changing completely." Fans also wanted to know if she was worried that the movie wouldn't do the book justice, but she explained that she herself took her book, shredded it to pieces, and put it back together. Her job was done at writing the book and the movie wouldn't change that. Erin believes that film can take the story to a new level that can't be told in the story and vice versa, the movie could never tell the story like the book could. When asked about casting she said she is more interested in the costumes and the details.



When hearing Erin speak she reminds me a little of Maggie Stiefvater in that both are painters and are described as being very visual people. Erin said when planning a scene she can see every detail down to the lighting.


When talking about the publishing business she felt like she learned so much. She wasn't aware that so many ARCs would go out and was really surprised when she had people lined up to meet her at BEA. Erin originally named her working file Night Circus and it was never changed. She is extremely happy with the cover. During the taping of Night Circus audio Erin was able to sit in and listen.


I'm really excited to read this book and I hope you enjoy these pictures. Also if you want to buy a signed copy call Murder by the Book I'm sure they have have a few signed copies available. Thanks to the wonderful staff at Murder for a great event!

11 comments:

  1. How very very cool! You have me wanting to live in Houston ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So Excited about this event....great pics!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have heard and read positive reviews about this book and I can't wait to read it. Thanks Cari for posting this. I had no idea Summit wants to turn it into a movie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the little tent that she sat under! And that print! VERY cool. I'm glad you had a great time and she had a great turnout! I need to read this book! =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The tent is awesome. I so wanted to get to this signing but once again work got in my way. (Sighs) Looks like I missed a really good one. Great pics.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! This looks like SO much fun! That tent they set up is amazing!! I think I'm the only person left on the planet who hasn't read this one, which is just SAD because I WOWed it ages ago and even snagged a copy a BEA. I fail at life. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like a great event -- tent is so cool! I've heard such good things about Erin (she was on NPR) and also about the book, which I need to get my hands on. Thanks for sharing the details. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks so fun! I'm super jealous, I wasn't able to go to her event in Austin.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Freaking awesome event as usual. Just got the book. Can't wait to read.

    ReplyDelete