Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Review: The Pull of Gravity by Gae Polisner

The Pull of Gravity by Gae Polisner

Rating: 5 of 5 Stars


Before I get started, I want to say that The Pull of Gravity by Gae Polisner made me cry! Gae can go from wacky to emotional in the flip of a page. When we first meet Nick he is surrounded by chaos. His father has lost his job and he spends his days on the couch sleeping and gaining weight. Nick’s neighbor Scoot was once Nick’s best friend, but he is sick and spends most of his time at home. Nick also distanced himself from Scoot because he just wants to be normal. Nick is pretty normal except he gets really high fevers that sometimes cause him to have hallucinations.


During one of his fevers Nick feels he is being attacked so he runs out of the house and tries to climb a water tower. Scoot sees him and calls to him causing Nick to react before he can get seriously injured. Nick’s parents fight about how close they came to loosing Nick and his dad sets off on a quest to walk to New York City in hopes of changing his life. While this might be great for Nick’s dad, Nick can’t help but feel that his dad has bailed on him.

Jaycee, Scoot’s friend, hopes that Nick will help her find Scoot’s dad who left when Scoot was young and started getting sick. Scoot confided in Jaycee that he would like to see his dad before he passes away. (Insert tears) Jaycee and Nick work together to find details and agree to find Scoot’s dad. During the journey we find out the bubble that is Nick’s life and how much he grows as a person. He learns not only about himself, but about his family and Jaycee.

Jaycee reminds me a lot of Lorelai Gilmore from The Gilmore Girls because she is quirky and can always figure out what to do or say next. You will come to love Nick, Jaycee, Scoot and the adventure they go on! I love the Of Mice and Men and Star Wars references through out the book. My only regret is that I waited so long to read it. I loved The Pull of Gravity so much and I hope you pick it up soon. This will be one of those books I re-read again and again.

For more on Gae visit: http://gaepolisner.com/html/ya.html

6 comments:

  1. Awesome review, Cari. I loved TPoG too so much. Gae is very talented, I can't wait to read her next book. And I'm not just saying that because we're buds. lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one is high on my to buy list. Road Trip + Classic references = awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great Review!!! It shows how much you like the book and THANKS to YOU I order a copy for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG anything that can be compared to Gilmore Girls is a definite WIN in my book! I picked this one up after hearing Gae do a reading during BEA week, but I haven't read it yet. Now I'll have to move it up my TBR!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw, thank you Cari. You know how happy (and relieved!) I am that you loved it. Hope Amy and WM love it too, and am really thrilled to hear that my reading convinced Casey to buy it. :) Hope you like it too, Casey! *tosses confetti to all, simply because she is overcaffeinated*

    ReplyDelete
  6. OOOh I think I will love Jaycee! Can't wait to read this one!

    ReplyDelete