Thursday, December 1, 2011

Review: Catching Jordan


Catching Jordan by Miranda Kenneally

Rating: 5 of 5 Stars


CATCHING JORDAN is one of my favorite books this year! I dare you to start reading and put it down before you reach the end. I feel like a broken record because I have been telling anyone who will listen how much I love this book. When I first saw the cover I was smitten and then on closer inspection I saw that Simone Elkeles blurbed it and at that point I knew it had to be something special. CATCHING JORDAN is about a high school quarterback who lives for the sport. Only this quarterback is a girl and she is set on playing college football for the top school in the nation. Jordan wishes that her father, who plays for the NFL, would support her dreams, but just as Jordan is passionate about playing football he is as passionate about getting her to quit.

The beauty in this story is that all the characters have flaws making them very real. Jordan has tunnel vision when it comes to sports and is missing out on other life experiences like spending time with family, having friends outside the team, and even having a boyfriend. Then Ty transfers to her school and wants to join the football team. Ty played quarterback in Texas and took his team to the state championship. Jordan isn’t sure if she should worry more about her position or her heart because Ty is Chace Crawford hot.

Jordan has no shortage of hot guys around her, like her brother’s best friend Jake or her best friend Henry or one of the many guys on the team. The friendship between Henry and Jordan is sweet, funny, and effortless. Henry is the one who got Jordan into football at age seven and they have been best friends ever since. They do everything together from co-parenting an electronic baby in home ec. to playing football. While Henry is very proud of being a male slut he gives Jordan the push she needs to open up about her feelings for Ty. Jordan realizes she needs to find a balance and stop caring about what the world thinks or says.

If you only take one recommendation from me all year I hope you pick up this book! I find it rare when a novel leaves such a huge impression so I read it a second time and both times I laughed, cried, and smiled. I hope Hollywood comes calling because CATCHING JORDAN definitely has movie potential. CATCHING JORDAN is Miranda Kenneally’s debut novel and is available today. Miranda is also working on two companion novels THE GIRL I USED TO BE to be released in 2012 and BAD, BAD THING in 2013.

To learn more about Miranda visit: http://mirandakenneally.com/

9 comments:

  1. I think this might be a book that (asuuming I don't get approved on NetGalley - *fingers crossed*) I give up on waiting for the holidays and buy it for myself :)

    Thanks for the amazing review!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh GIRL. This totally sounds like a book I'd love! It reminds me a bit of Dairy Queen, one of my top favorite YA's. MUST-READ.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been wanting to read this since I first saw the cover!! I'm all about books dealing with football :) Great review!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your review made me weak in my knees. I must read this soon. Football. Love. Competition. I am so buying it and attempting every giveaway until I do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved this book so much! I can't stop gushing about it and now I just want to read it all over again :0)
    This is definitely one that everyone should read!

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow. your love for the book is definitely contagious! this is on my TBR file, and i cn’t wait to read it when i am able to buy it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been hearing so much about how awesome this book is. I love that there are more girls-in-sports books coming out as I think they're great roll models for girls who want to play sports but are discouraged by their peers for dumb reasons. While I'm not a sport nut myself, I definitely appreciate how important they are for what they teach about team work and determination and drive.


    Smiles!
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds really good. Added it to my to read list. Thanks for the recommendation. :-)
    Paula @ PaulaSHx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been wanting to read this book since the first time I've heard about it. I can't wait to read it. Wonderful review!

    ReplyDelete